Week 4 TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well second physio went really well 110 % bend , stretch is good but needs work . Had good days and bad . I have got well being meeting at work next Wednesday even though have sick note for 6 weeks doing everything I should but not ready for 10 hrs shifts . And can not drive yet. How long have people in general been off work . Making me feel depressed as do not want to be pressured and know I will undo all the hard work I have done. Still on regular pain meds

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Melanie you sound like you're doing great at 4 weeks out!! 110 bend wow! I wasn't there at 4 weeks. I was allowed to drive at 6 weeks and went back to work at 9 weeks. It's tough though. Very tired and swollen by the end of the day but I did have both knees done at the same time. I average about 8 1/2 to 9 hour days. Lot of catching up on exercises at night and icing. It's a long haul! Best of luck and prayers. ??🙏

• Posted

Thank you very much for your support one day at a time .
  • Posted

Early days! Depends on what sort of work you do. Start thinking about it at 8 weeks onwards in my opinion, not before , just a matter of playing it by ear.
  • Posted

Thats a good bend at 4 weeks keep up the work. I went back at 18 weeks and stillfeel tired. Its individual. I could  not gone back sooner. I was advised 3 to 4/12s off. Remember you still need to fit the rehab in. Its a long haul. Folow th advice and link of Chico Marx on here and  Oldfatguy
  • Posted

Hi

I was off 12 weeks, some are much luckier than others.

Good healing

• Posted

Thanks Clive I get paid whilst I am off but don't want to be cohurst in to going back to soon . As feel like I am only just getting my confidence .

• Posted

I am a theatre recovery Nurse jenny and work 10 hr shifts . I would be supported with phased return with reduced hours but frightened to commit and not be ready or cause my recovery to be hindered .
    • Posted

I agree with you... your recovery is now the most important thing! Kind of slightly amusing that you work in the area you do, ! It is tricky pacing things. I am now 7 weeks post op and standing and walking very limited. I have heard commonly people can go back at three months, but some do earlier. You job does sound like it would require a lot of you physically!
  • Posted

Wow that's great I had both tkr and six weeks into it I've got great extension but only 93° on RT knee and 100° on left I'm struggling to get mine to bend did you get conformis knee or off the shelf

• Posted

Too be honest Donald I have no idea what model I have. You are doing great and very brace having both done .
  • Posted

Hi Melanie,

?I had a right knee,partial knee replacement on 6 Nov (medial  compartment).

?I'm a bus driver in the tourist industry, so in addition to driving I have to handle passengers baggage, not much of it weighing less than 15 kgs. I do 10 hour shifts.

I was a NHS patient and surgery was carried out in a private hospital. My agreed guidlines were I had to achieve at least a 90 degree bend and as straight as possible flexion as I could before being discharged and I did this and went home in 3 days.

?I decided I'd NOT try and beat the system by rushing to work early. I spent 8 weeks totally dedicated, totally focussed on my leg. I stayed on crutches,  until my surgeon gave the all clear. That was at 8 weeks and at that point I started driving my car again ( a manual). I returned to work bus driving at 11 weeks, a phased return over three weeks and then back to normal hours and duties. (a manual bus too).

?I made every post a winning post - I was never ever going to repeat anything. And I didn't.

Now - its as if it never happened.

?BUT, BUT - I did something that nobody asked me to do - not in anyones guideleines. I spent 8 weeks prior to surgery going to a private sports injury massage therapist to strengthen my leg muscles, so that my leg was in the best possible condition for the surgeon to work on. Once the dressing was removed - post op - and my GP's practice nurse was satisfied there was no infection -  I returned for more muscle strengthening work and for work on the incision line to break down scar tissue and prevent it forming. If the scar tissue forms it is a big, big problem for a patient to overcome and can impede recovery and make exercises really hard work. Much harder work than it need be.

?For me, stepping outside the box, doing things differently and as recommended by muscle experts was the best thing ever - job done.

?Good luck, but take it easy, pace yourself.

John

• Posted

I had a right tkr on Feb 5th. My flexion is still only 90 degrees so not great. I think 110 after only 4 weeks is amazing! I do my exercises and walk every day but my knee bend just will not improve. My pt does not seem concerned and just tells me to continue with the exercises. I do worry though and don't know what else I can do.

• Posted

Morning Jimbo1700

Think the whole process is a minefield . I have had a really good 4 day going in to week 5 walked quite a bit Sunday and Monday . Painkiller taken every 4 hrs . What I have been taking is ibrupefen at night along with the other stuff and it has helped. However Tuesday morning I had concrete leg nothing would work felt like week one I just wanted to get back in to bed and cry!!! . What I did do was read about scar massage as it felt like the outer scar had gone tight preventing it to bend TBH I felt like it was going to burst open under pressure. What I learnt was that by massage with finger tips along the scar and tapping the line seemed to work. I also blasted it with the cold shower head then iced . I was worried I had gone backwards . Tuesday afternoon after ice ,scar massage and a bit of rest . It seemed to loosen up . I was worried I'd be back to square one with physio . But I have got a bend of 115% I could not believe it

One thing I have learnt it's a journey and be kind to yourself . This forum is amazing . Google scar therapy and see if it helps . We are all different . Stretch and bend ice and kindness to yourself .

• Posted

Well done you! Thanks for the advice, Melanie. I have started massaging the scar with bio oil and also doing more stretching exercises. I do feel a difference although it's always very tight first thing in the morning. My hamstrings feel extremely tight so I guess it all affects the flexibility. Goodness, it's hard work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.