Week 4 tomorrow on 10mg of citalopram really not sure if it's helping or if I need to increase

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday was just a blur was out with the family but felt as though I was in a trance. I keep getting a pain under my ribs which my anxiety since 6 this morning has been raging and now keep thinking it might be something serious. I have the doctor tomorrow morning but I feel ok some times throughout the day and numb the others I really just want to be myself again my kids keep asking what's up so they obviously know I'm not myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I just started citalopram 3rd dose today could be that you might just need a few more weeks dawn! I have a pain under my ribs this am thinking it's the anxiety which is intense at the moment with side effects of the meds!!! 

Hope you feel better soon I do no my friend had to go to 40mg xx

• Posted

Hi Dawn

Week 4 is really early days still.  Try and go with it and you'll find the side effects will disappear eventually and you begin to feel better.  Every time you increase the dose you'll probably go through the side effects all over again.  Everyone takes different times to feel the benefits, but around 8 weeks is often when people do.  Even if this medication doesn't work for you (though it should) remember there are many different SSRI's and each one is tailored for different people.

I've taken these for 15 years and it's the best thing I ever did for years of anxiety and deep depression.  Am back to my old self again.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks I'm trying to stick with it I'm only on 10mg so iv had 5mg for 1week and 10mg for 2weeks. I'm dreading tomorrow as I have been really weepy the last few days and very anxious and my husband is going back to work so I will be alone with my little one all day I'm already thinking where I can go so I don't need to be in the house alone but at the same time I feel silly for not being able to be in the house myself.xx
    • Posted

That's good to increase them this way.  The side effects are awful to start with, and weepiness is probably part medication / part anxiety.  My anxiety increased big time when I first took this medicine ...... it was awful.  It does feel unbearable at the moment, but these symptoms will pass in time.  I hated being on my own when I was ill and had 2 small children to cope with too.  It's not silly not wanting to be by yourself indoors - you're not well and you're looking for comfort.  I felt exactly the same way.  When starting this medicine which increased things initially I remember going out a lot just to keep busy.  My children are now 20 and 23 and I've been well for 15 years.

Try and remind yourself that you're not well at the moment, and you're waiting for the recovery to start, just like a broken leg would or a bad bout of flu.  You might feel alone, but you're not.  People here will support you.

Remember that each day and week is a step nearer to recovery.

Let us know how you are tomorrow x

• Posted

Hi just back from doctors hot sensation over my chest and arm feels really heavy and would swear something was stuck in my throat lol. Dr has advised I take 10mg one day then 20mg the next for the next week then go on to 20mg daily. Also to get bloods done as the week after my menstrual cycle my anxiety increases. I hope I feel better soon been up since 5 this morning pacing about.x
    • Posted

I do now remember I had bad indigestion and stomach pains for over a week and a lump in my throat (a dry throat).  Again this passed ..... think I had something different every week!

That's a good idea to do 10mg then 20mg.  Gently increasing the dose is best.  It's the same when (and if you ever want to) come off and reduce them gradually.  Interesting how your anxiety increases the week after your menstrual cycle.

I wake every morning at 4am, luckily can drift off again, but it's odd how my body clock just wakes at the same time.

So interesting we all go through similar side effects and experiences on this medicine.  I hope you all get to the same result I've found on this medicine too ... sheer happiness!

Keep posting your progress!

K xx

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Know how you're feeling! I had the rib pain early on and that went after a week or so. I'm now 4 weeks in too and am still suffering with headaches everyday and feeling like I'm walking around in my own little world - very strange. At least we know it's happening to others too so will pass eventually xx

• Posted

Hi for the last 3-4 days iv been really weepy and today I have terrible anxiety feel like my left arm is really heavy waves of heat going through my body and feel like I have pains in my throat and really dry mouth. I'm only on 10mg so don't know if it might need increased. It's good to post here as everyone is so helpful and it ensures me I'm not alone and I'm not going mad which I sometimes think my husband thinks I am. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.