Week 7 on citalapram (20mg) help

Posted , 3 users are following.

The first couple of weeks were hell for me. But around week 5/6 I felt great..... but now on week 7, almost week 8 I feel like I'm back to square one. 

I'm getting bad heart flutters, heart palpitations and the mornings are terrible. Does this all sound normal and does the morning anxiety ever go away? 

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

It can sometimes take a good 8 weeks or more for the medication to fully kick in, and it's definitely not uncommon to still be getting side effects  at the 7/8 week point.

?I would give it another few weeks on your current dose, it possible. If you aren't seeing any improvements or you start to feel worse, you might have to go up a dose.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As for the morning anxiety, I wish I had an answer for you; nearly two months since my anxiety relapse, and I'm still having morning anxiety, even after changing meds. I've read it's often one of the last symptoms to go away.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm definitely better than I was the first couple of weeks so I suppose I can take that as a positive. Just hate the heart flutters and heart palpitations especially when I seem to be having a good day. Thanks for The replies, I'll keep going another few weeks and see how I go 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I’m nine weeks in on citalopram 20mg and the mornings are bad, the anxiety makes me sick. I do feel like the days are getting better once I get past that part. I think as long as you can see small improvements and I’m meaning like are u a bit better this week than you were a fortnight ago, then that’s it starting to work. It can take around three to six months for some people to notice big improvements, so I’m sure you’ll get there in the end. Everyone says that the morning anxiety is the last to go for a lot of people but I know when I have been on this drug before, it did make my morning anxiety go but it did take time.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for that. Yeah the morning anxiety and heart palpitations are the worst part for me. The evenings I can definitely feel the benefits. I also switched taking my tablet from morning to night as it was making me very sleepy so this might have played a part in me having a little bit of backward step 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Last time I was on citalopram I was really tired but this time it’s caused me insomnia and to wake in the night. So I had to switch to taking the tablets in the morning as I’m having to take zoplicone at bed time. I too just want this to go away but I know it’s just going to take time.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah we will get there. A few weeks ago I had a really good week and managed to get back to work only to have a really bad couple of weeks. 

Hopefully you are feeling better soon 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That’s what I did too, I was off work for the first two weeks of taking the citalopram and then returned to work for two weeks, then I had a series of panic attacks so I didn’t go back to work for three weeks. I’ve only just returned back to work yesterday. I think I’m guilty of trying to do too much because I’m desperate to make things better and to get back to how I was but I know now that it’s about taking small steps because the recovery will be slow but we’ll get there in the end. I’ve told myself not to feel too disheartened when I get some anxiety because it doesn’t mean that we’re back to square one, it is just part of the process of getting better and I’ve spoken to many others on here about this and they all agree that it’s early days but we will get there. 👍

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah I was guilty of trying to do too much around week week or so. Then after I came crashing down I felt like I was back to square one. But thanks for the reassurance, it's always good  I hear we aren't the only ones going through it and it's all normal side effects 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up