Week 8 Fluoxetine..wow!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experiences of fluoxetine 20mg. I'm now on my 8th week & 8 I am really feeling great. When I was at my lowest, I thought things would never get better. I had constant stomach ache, sickness & IBS. I just stopped enjoying everything & just didn't see the point which isn't like me.

I've always had some anxious tendencies but since I moved out of my parents last Jan, everything just got the better of me. I didn't realise how much it had effected me. The thought of the house used to make me feel ill & teary. I used to convince myself I had serious illnesses & google symptoms until I just felt horrific. I would obsess over tiny things that ached etc. I am a teacher as well as special needs co ordinator & although I love my job, it is very stressful & that had crept up too. I find it really hard to be off work in the holidays & that's when I had most of my major dips. Working as hard as I was but being unable to look forward to time off was awful. I used to feel it Fridays too before the weekend. 

My breaking point came out of the blue on a relaxing weekend in York in Oct.  I began to feel odd so I stood still for a while then had a huge panic attack, I thought an ambulance would have to get me out of the cafe. My depression went downhill from there, I thought that my life would be like that forever. I used to just cry & cry & couldn't be alone. I didn't care about anything & couldn't even bring myself to tidy up. Things seemed to improve a bit as I got back into the swing of school but xmas holidays came & there I was again, crying in my car, pointlessly driving about with crippling anxiety. I went to the doctors & he gave me fluoxetine 20mg. I felt relief & hope.

The first few weeks were rocky & I experienced quite a few side effects which I thought would never stop. For the last 3 weeks, these seem to have disappeared & I just feel great. It's made me realise that maybe I was depressed long before my breakdown in Oct. I am enjoying life & also the house. My anxiety has almost completely gone & my relationships are so much better. I've just come to the end of half term week & I have enjoyed being off for the first time in months!! I had a little wobble on the first day but I think that's because I was expecting the feelings I have had every other holiday. 

There is certainly hope on your fluoxetine journey. Keep going, every day things will get better. They certainly have for me. At the moment, I love life. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your positive post, it's very encouraging, although I will be taking Fluoxetine as an antiviral for a chronic Enterovirus infection.  It's odd that many of my symptoms including IBS, depression and anxiety are very similar to yours.  

• Posted

Wow! I'm so happy that you are feeling much better, Samantha

I had a similar experience. I went through a really bad breakup and I was lethargic and my depression and anxiety that I previously had went out of control. I used to be on Paxil. I started Prozac right after the breakup and it was THE WORST TIME OF MY LIFE. I was crying every 2 hours, I had racing thoughts about my ex. It was completely devastating. I was emotionally broken and my pre-existing depression and anxiety along with being diagnosed bipolar did not help AT ALL. I saw no end to it. I am currently on week 6 and that was the magic number for me! I am feeling SO SO MUCH better than last week. I have hope in the future and I find myself not thinking about my ex for long periods of time. I'm praying I continue to improve. I really hope anyone on this medication holds on a little longer. It is SO worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.