Week four of citalopram 10mg, not sure on what to do

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've been on Citalopram 10mg for four weeks.

I had anxiety and agoraphobia previously for at least six years and never took anything.

I started breaking down so bit the bullet.

I have noticed some improvements and had all the idea effects for a while

My problem is i still fee quite low on energy. I get the odd sprout here and there. I wonder whether i need to increase. I am quite sensitive to medication though.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried excercise nothing helps mental illness better than excercise,  also it would not hurt you to take a b complex vitamin and have your b12 checked.  Eat a heathy diet and maybe take up yoga or on you tube there are meditation videos.  Read up on everything and try drug free ways to improve your outlook.  A shrink would never say what I am telling you.  Talk to him about how really depressed you are,  he may have some other solutions like checking your hormones etc.. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks ks for the reply Pam. I have tried every non drug option out there. From medical testing to vitamins to mindfulness. Nothing was working. These are the only things that i actually feel are bringing me back to balance.i am hopefully not going to stay on these forever though and use natural remedies alongside these
    • Posted

I not dissing the drug I was on them for years on and off, compared to the other ones on the market celexa was my go to,  it's an uptaker I was put on 20 and found it was the easies of all the drugs in its class that was easier to get off then say pax hell, or cymbalta.  I can't use it anymore because it interferes with my inhaler for copd.  You have to be warned though that you will have withdraw if you quit no way around it.  You will get what is now as brain japs, electric charge in your head sometimes it happens in your body.  These zaps can last from a week to a lifetime.

• Posted

Sometimes people need to take the medication to get better. Herbal ways are not always the best and they don't work everytime. 

• Posted

If you read about these drugs they have less than .5 over a plasibo.  They have tons of side effects, liver damage ect and interfear with hundreds of drugs.  Dr are not in the business of telling you this, or would the say eat right get fresh air , excercise get yourself a pet if your lonely ect..  If they did that they would go out of business.
    • Posted

Well, they worked perfectley fine for me! Took them six months and back to normal. 
    • Posted

Make sure your dr does the required blood wok ro check for side effects and don't forget to mention the liver one.  He or she should know but sometimes you have to jog there memory.  

They get get you in there office your in there long enough to get the script, do they bother asking are you eating healthy, getting enough sleep, exercising,  how's your home life etc...there are many difficianies that cause palpitations, depression I could go on ect.. But like one dr said most people if not all would bennifit from some lifestyle changes, or they are just wasting money on these drugs.

• Posted

Hello Akens.  I agree with Pams reply, that medication alone will not solve your problems. My personal experience with taking 10mg Cit for 18 months was that it did help my panic attacks thankfully, but other than that it did very little. In fact, some ongoing side effects [which never left me] were just as bad as the symptoms I was suffering with.  I have been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency so am now taking a strong supplement. It may help, as Pam says, to get your Vitamin levels checked out,  They do help, as do exercise, even very light exercise.  Take care. Lily x
    • Posted

What side effects stay with you? I will definitely try the excersze!
    • Posted

Omg god yes vitamin d3 I very important make sure you take it with k2.  Now you can get d3 and k2 together at the Heath food store.  Even better try to get 30 minutes of sun a day, no sunscreen.  I don't now how much you are taking of the vitamin d but for me I need 10 thousand a day they actually recommend that much wow.

• Posted

Hi Akens.  The side effects that stayed with me were, as you have said, absolutely no energy, even the smallest chore was a herculian effort. Also "head rushes", dry mouth and just feeling generally down and unwell. With hindsight tho, some of these symptoms could be my Vitamin D deficiency, which does cause depression and low energy levels. So maybe it wasn't all the fault of Cit. I am however, tapering off them at the moment and see how I go.  Take care,Lily x

• Posted

Hi Pam.  Thanks for your reply. I have been prescribed 3000 mg daily for the time being and having a further blood test taken in 2 months time to check my levels.  I am getting as much time in the sun as I can as well as eating a better diet, so hopingit will all help. Fingers crossed!! Take care, Lily x
  • Posted

Hi Akens

These meds take a long time to work and 4 weeks is still early days.  10mg is fairly low so you could increase - increasing does cause side effects again so don't be surprised if you feel a little more anxious - it does wear off.  The maximum dose is 40mg but a bigger dose doesn't mean you'll recover any quicker than a lower dose - we''re all unique and so require different doses.  You can't hurry recovery either, so let it take its time ..... again everyone is different.

Recovery comes in waves too so you will be up and down.

K x

• Posted

Thank you Kate , I just feel that they have made a difference already and that's just with 10mg.ive read a lot of yourncomments and you give lots of good advice. I just wondered if as they are working already as i can tell they are i should stick this dose out rather than.raosing when i haven't even given these would months but i am willing to raise if needed. Thanks so mucj

• Posted

I think if you can feel improvement already then I'd stick to that dose. I always say why take more than you need. You can see how you go over the coming weeks / months and always adjust the dose if you feel it necessary.

I recovered on 20mg and after some years on that dose I reduced to 10mg and stayed on that for some years as I never wanted to take more than I needed.

Hope that helps :-)

• Posted

More than helps honestly. I really appreciate it. It gives me hope.

I think I just saw some improvements ten went down again but like you said up and down. I need to persevere. I'll probably review at two months and see if i need an increase. Thanks again so much

• Posted

Yes you will get those dips - sometimes they can feel real bad, but if you understand they're a necessary part of recovery and keep going it'll pass in time. It's your body adjusting.

If you're still having good days mixed with down I'd say the meds are working and in time those good days should increase.

Good idea to review in 2 months. You probably see a big difference though by then.

Good if goes ok.

K x

• Posted

Hope it goes ok ..... not 'good if goes ok' 🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.