Week tomorrow

Posted , 10 users are following.

Since I had surgery. Anterior/posterior repair and perenium repair. I didn't realise how much of a big op it would be. I'm still not walking that great and just wondered how long before I start to feel ok and able to go out ? Thank you

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in the same boat. I had my op 11 days ago and I feel like I've grown a set of balls. Standing and walking is uncomfortable.
    • Posted

Laying down is difficult, helps if I'm on my side. The constipation is the worse thing I think, it is so scary to strain, but so uncomfortable if you don't! Im using dulcolax which helps. I thought after they worked once I'd be ok but I wasn't so seems like I'll be relying on them for a while now! The joys lol x
  • Posted

I feel the same. I was surprised by how uncomfortable I am.  I am about a week and a half out and it does get better.
  • Posted

I'm at 6 days. Lots of twinges and I've been sick since the surgery,  Finally they gave be anti nausea meds which help a little.  Thought of you all last friday when I was on the floor in our bathroom praying to the procelin godess all day, hoping to not rip any stitches.  This surgery is not for the faint at heart!

• Posted

Oh you poor girls. It DOES get better as you go, believe me. Were you vomiting from the pain relief meds judi87438?
    • Posted

yes...the pain meds took me down and the headaches were severe...codiene and I don't get along
  • Posted

Everyone should be informed prior to their surgery that this is classed as major surgery. I'm starting to think that there are some hospitals that lack a duty of care to their patients. I've heard it called minor surgery in some cases but the evidence is very clear just in this forum.
    • Posted

I was given a sheet that did state it was major surgery. I think it is the fact that you can't really see anything. So you feel fraud from feeling the way you do. If that makes any sense .
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean jolil. If you had a broken leg or a bandage wrapped around your head then you'd get lots of sympathy but at least your hospital acknowledged it was major surgery. I do keep mentioning this on the forum because some ladies are under the impression that it's not. The pelvic floor is a complicated area to operate on which is why the surgeons are trained specifically for prolapse surgery so they can call themselves Urogynaecologists. Never feel a fraud.
    • Posted

Hi Jolil

I'm getting the feeling that people are expecting me to be feeling better as its been 8 days now. I feel like I should be saying yea im fine instead of the truth which is I can't really walk properly, I feel like I've been hit by a bus down there, and it's a constant battle with constipation. As people have said if you had a scar outside you'd get more sympathy. My DH is saying you need to walk more , probably true but how much can you walk indoors lol x

• Posted

Hi Jolil you are 8 days post op and I wouldn't expect you to be walking more. At this stage rest is the most important thing because you need the sutures to remain secure and start knitting together. Only walks to the bathroom until around 3 weeks then short walks but only in the garden or around the house. After that build up very gradually and as I've said so many times as soon as you feel tired, rest and don't push yourself.
    • Posted

I have rested as much as poss, think that is the best thing to do with this kind of surgery. I started using lactulose as soon as I came home and it has been a godsend. 3.5 weeks post op and still using daily and will continue until I'm more mobile. Nothing worse than constripation and you don't want to be straining when you do go. You can buy from chemist without prescription but if you wanted to double check its ok for you to use, speak to your GP, pharmacist.

Good luck with rest of your recovery xxx

• Posted

I thought exactly the same thing, I'm 3.5 weeks post op (surgery was 5th Feb) and only in the last few days have I been able to walk and sit down properly. The lack of information given is ridiculous, even if they only gave you a booklet to read so you knew what to expect it would be helpful. I think the 1st 2 weeks are hard, hang on in there though ladies, still early days for me too (I had vaginal hysterectomy at same time too) but deff noticed a sign of improvement this wk, knocked most of pain killers of as well as have little/no pain. Just very tired still 😴 xx
    • Posted

jill there are some Health Trusts, mine included that give out printed information at the out patient department when the decision is made that surgery is necessary. A lot of them post them on the hospital website so they can be read by anyone. I don't know why all hospitals aren't the same.
  • Posted

I was given a booklet, It had why I needed the operation, what they do during the Op, what to expect while in hospital, How long you needed to be off work for. But not what to expect once home and how long the swelling takes to go down etc. I think I might update their booklet for them 😉
    • Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments X I was told it was a big op, but not much emphasis put on it, just in passing conversation . I think like others I had the idea it was not a big deal because there are no outward signs of an op. I thought give it a week and I'll be more or less back to normal , just have to be careful about lifting etc. Silly me! X
    • Posted

I was the same - really didn't prepare myself mentally at all for how big an op it is. My consultant at 4 weeks gave me a bit of a nag and said it would be easier if we could have a big incision to look at as then we would have that mental connection for why we need to rest. it does get easier though but patience and rest is the way X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.