Weight gain after coming off citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came off citalopram 6 weeks ago. since then i have gained half a stone. does anyone know the reason for this? i gained no weight at all while i was on the medication.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Did your appetite increase?...I have been off them 6 months and still get withdwawal symptoms including hunger cravings 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No Pat my appetite did not increase infact i began eating healthier after christmas. i have been wimming but i still gained weight. I started running now and im hoping that will shift the extra weight. I didnt expect this at all
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Anne,  I also came off about 6 weeks ago and (oddly) my experience has been that  I LOST about 15 lbs.  I have been forcing myself to excercise though (mostly walking) to try and reboot/regulate my serotonin receptors although I don't believe the excercise alone is enough to account for all of the weight loss.  If you are feeling the same withdrawal symptoms I have I highly recommend a brisk walk!  Good luck...
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Stanley i didnt gain any weight while i was on the medication. the last 6 months i was on citalopram i sweated a lot at night to the point where i had to change my t shirt twice a night.My doctor told me i had a virus and it was not a side effect of the medication but im sure it was. i hope i can lose this weight and not put on anymore
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Funny, it should usually be the other way around......when I was on Citalopram I had a hideous spare tyre that days in the gym couldn't reduce.....once I started tapering I noticed that I did shed a bit of weight. I'm also taking Bupropion to keep the depression in check as I taper off Cit, it's certainly reduced my hunger cravings to an extent
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Anne,

I've been getting the same weight gain since starting to wean off citalopram (hadn't gained weight while on the medication and haven't been eating more!) -- I was wondering whether the weight dropped back off after a while or whether you're still experiencing the same issue??

Thanks!

S

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up