Weight gain after coming off citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, can anyone agree with me the fact that when you come off citalopram you actually put weight on? Please anyone, if you have experienced this please let me know, cos I think I'm going mad 😳

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Icklenat,

Quite the opposite for me.  I gained weight when on Citalopram but lost it when I came off.

• Posted

Thank you for replying Grunthos, I've read older forums and they say they also put weight on after coming off it,  but can't find any one in 2017 that actually agree, maybe it's just me 😟 Thanks anyways x

• Posted

Defiantly weight  on for me.  My depression really took off when I was diagnosed with a desease called sarcoidosis. I had just turned 50. Sarcoidosis took me to 11 stone. At 57 I am 16 stone. Cit is energy sapping. I can't be bothered. I used to be full on. 

• Posted

Hi terry39293, I'm sorry to hear about your illness, are you off citalopram now and if so how much weight did you put in after coming off it? 

• Posted

I have never experienced this. Going on them suppressed my appetite so I know I lost allot of weight, nearly 2 kilos. Has your diet changed?
  • Posted

Hi Icklenat, just came across your post and wondered if your still struggling, I've just come off Citalopram 2 weeks ago and have already put about half a stone on despite exercising everyday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.