Weight gain after RAI

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I had RAI in December 2017 after 2nd bout of Graves/hyper. Felt ok to start with but last couple of weeks/month I am really struggling.  I really struggle to walk having no energy. Gained loads of weight which really depresses me with ankles and fingers swelling up. Also have bad tendon/ joint pain in left knee which started when stopped carbimozale. Had X-ray but told old age(61!). I’ve read that this is common. Last bloods 32tsh 18ft4 on 75mg levo.  Anyone else suffering these symptoms and any solutions. I also take 200 selenium

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Hazel, 

Just to clarify, with the RAI, was it to diagnose or to slow your thyroid? Either way, it basically damages the thyroid. 

Everything I’ve heard from people who have radioactive treatment to slow their thyroid, wind up hypothyroid. It basically trades one form of thyroid disease for another.

Even the diagnostic use of radioactive iodine can ddnage the thyroid gland and slow  thyroid  production.

Tryva search in the various thyroid group chats for graves and radioactive treatment. You may find some posts from others. I know there are posts here, it may just take a while to find them.

• Posted

Thanks for yr reply. I think it was given to reset or kill my thyroid. I was told I wd probably go hypo but cd take up to a year. It took a cple of months. I seem to be getting worse though having days when I can hardly move in pain from swellings. Feel quite sorry for myself then 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.