Weight gain AFTER stopping Citilapram!

Posted , 5 users are following.

What is going on?!  I can't understand why i have suddenly, almost over night put on so much weight.  It happened as i reduced and stopped my dosage of Citilapram... has anyone had the same thing happen and is a solution?

Grateful for ALL replies!

Jacquie

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Jaquie cant really help you much I have been on a fair few AD's and I lost weight with all of them the only one I gained weight with was mirtazapine.

Stay Strongcheesygrin

• Posted

You gave me my first laugh of the day there Jacquie, thank you.

Sorry, I have no knowlege that I would help you.  I have only ever been on Venlafaxine and I watch my weight all the time, when I quit smoking 10 plus years ago I was terrified of gaining weight, so it's a way of life for me now.

I am sure lots of people will be able to advise you.

Take care,

Pat xxxx

• Posted

Hi Pat

Watching my weight has always been a way of life for me ever since my doctor gave my mother a diet sheet for me... i was 7 at the time!  I have only ever been my ideal weight once and that was when i ws born.  I have stayed a size 14 (UK) for years now, enjoying the usual tasty tit bit at the weekend, but being 'good' during the week has ensured my weight stayed the same.  That was until i was prescribed Citilapram.  I didn't gain any weight whilst on them, in fact they seemed to help me retain my size 14 easier than before.  It was only when i started to reduce my dose and come off them completely that i have ballooned.  It's like someone has stuck a bicycle pump in my naval and started to pump!

Oh well welcome to my world of girdles, leggings and anything black and stretchy...cry x

• Posted

You might want to see if this med affects your cortosol or not.
    • Posted

Hi Robin

I am not sure what cortosol is, but i have beeing reading up about how citilapram deplete your levels of seratonin and lower your metabolism.  I am taking some natural pills from my health shop to see if i can boost both!  My body has definately changed since coming off the medication and i need to know why!  The doctors says it is my age, but to have got this plump in such a short time is not normal for me

Jacquie

• Posted

When I took Pharmacology I learned that each human body is different so maybe you are just dealing with how your body reacts.
  • Posted

Hi, jacquie:  It sounds like to my you are retaining fluids.  Do your clothes fit the same, and your scales are going up quickly.  That is what is happening to me.  I have to take so many meds for other health issues, along with the ones for anxiety..ask you doctor to check for water weight gain.  Unless you are eating a lot more than usual, and actually putting on weight, I would say that is what it is, and I can sympathize with you...Good luck, and hugs..
    • Posted

Hi Carole

Thank you for your reply.  I am already taking a diaretic so i don't think it is that.  There appears to be no explanation really, i was actually eating and drinking more whilst i was taking the pills!  My clothes are tighter and i know i have put weight on.  I am taking fat metaboliser tablets and another one to increase my seratonin levels, as apparently the citilapram completely ruin the natural balance and you need seratonin to lose weight... according to another chatter, so i am trying this now.  Only taken the two tabs for a few days, following a calorie controlled diet obviously along side, so i will let you know.

Thanks again hon

Jacquie

• Posted

You are very welcome, jacquie...please be careful using fat blockers.  They are fat soluable, and therefore, could block the effects of your antidepressants and antianxiety meds.  That happened to me a few years back.  I was taking a fat blocker, along with my Xanax, and I got severely depressed...The pharmacist told me that the fat blocker was keeping my Xanax for absorbing, as it it was fat.  Hope this helps, and I hope we are both able to lose weight....HUGs
    • Posted

Hi there Carole

Thank you for your reply.  I don't take any antidepressants now, the Citilapram were the only ones.  I will report back in a couple of weeks to see if the tablets have made any difference! Fingers crossed....

Jacquie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.