Weight gain and loss on Mirtazapine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all

A question for those who have either managed to come off Mirt or are in the process of tapering - at what point did you start to notice any weight loss? Was it only when you stopped taking it completely or did you lose some while tapering?

I was prescribed Mirt for a bout of crippling insomnia which got so bad it left me suicidal. It eventually helped turn things around but I've put on 2 stone in weight and feel like a big fat slug 😦

Because I am doing everything within my power to avoid rebound withdrawal insomnia I am talking at 10% a month - it's a painfully slow process, currently down to 8mg.

I'm wondering if I will have to wait another year before seeing any weight loss or whether there is some hope on the horizon and I might lose a little before then. I've been lucky to be naturally slim normally but after going from a size 8 to a size 14 in just a couple of months I don't recognise my own body anymore.

Would also love to hear any tips on how people managed to avoid or overcome the withdrawal insomnia.

Sending positive vibes to all out there who are struggling with the side effects of this drug!

xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. My personal experiences on mirt is that it will only be when your completely of this drug that your weight will decrease. Good news though, from my research, is that it comes off quickly, probably with a bit of help through exercise. I too have never seen my body so out of shape. I had depression and severe anxiety due to life events, but I can cope now, but unfortunately the mirt has become itself the big problem in my life. Side effects of dropping dose from 45mg are similer to the reasons I went on in the first place plus terrible headaches. I thought the weight gain was just me by myself eating too much but realise its a symptom of the mort and particularly when on the lower dose, around 15mg. I solve my side effects anxiety with alcohol every night which helps to take the edge off and wish I didn't need to and I'm sure the drink doesn't help with my weight issue. Use to be so physically fit, in shape and positive mood. Am slowly working towards getting that life back again....

• Posted

i have tapered over 20 months from 45 to 2.6 mg. i have lost a stone over the last 6 months. not really tried.

• Posted

I'm on that same journey now Sarah. How's it been going down from 45? I keep going back up to 45 because of the anxiety, feeling of dread side effects I can't handle. Plus I got really bad headaches just going down to 40.

• Posted

Thank you all for your feedback. Seems like it can vary, but Sarah if you have lost some while doing the slow taper then I guess there is some hope for me! So 6 months ago what dosage would you have been on when you started to slowly lose some? Have you been tapering at 10% a month? I've so far been doing 10% every 3 weeks and - touch wood - the WD has been tolerable. I can basically deal with any WD as long as the insomnia stays away, as that's the massive problem for me. It feels like I've been tapering forever already though and I'm still on blimmin 8mg!

Comebacklife - I can empathise. Logically I know weight is not the most important thing, but my body feels totally alien to me at the moment.... I'm embarrassed. And without a doubt it is NOT just over eating that causes it. I have always watched my calorie intake and I'm actually eating less now than I used to and still piling on the pounds - it doesn't seem to be plateauing yet 😦

Toria, well done for coming off 3 times and it's brill that you're back to a Size 8 - there is hope!! Did you taper slowly when you came off?

• Posted

I am also on this journey to be mirt free. I went on it 3 years ago for anxiety, panic, and insomnia. I have gained 40 pounds and feel so fat and yucky. I am down to 2mg and still it's hard. I have tapered very slowly because I felt I could not risk going over the edge again. I have been suicidal many times over the past 3 years. This all hit me pretty much out of the blue and I really did not know what was happening to me. It can truly only be understood by someone who has suffered themselves. I just really want to go back to the old Darla. I am not sure that is possible but I am trying my best. The mirt is evil and while I am sure it has helped many people, it is not for me. I started the carnivore diet yesterday, and I am praying I can stop the last little piece of mirt and get back in shape, physically and more importantly mentally.

• Posted

Well I typed a long reply but for some reason, it is being reviewed. I can't imagine what was wrong but oh well. Just wanted to let you know that I too am tapering off this drug. Three years and a 40 pound weight gain is not working for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.