Weight gain and reduced sex drive on citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've never posted on one of these sites before but I'm always coming across old discussions and wishing I'd been involved. So I've been taking citalopram 20mg for 12 months now and decided to wean off it 2 months ago. I've cut the dose down gradually and 2 days of no pills feel ok so far. I never intended for meds to be a long term thing and I've taken up yoga and Buddhist meditation which I think have helped a lot. I've noticed over the past 6 months in particular I've been soooooo tired and my sex drive has all but disappeared l, has anyone else found this? Also I've always been super skinny, to the point I train to gain muscle and hate being told I'm skinny or have lost weight but the last few months my weight has crept up. I've put on about a stone since Christmas I generally eat well and I run, swim and do cross fit, I'm by no means inactive. Has anyone else found they've gained weight without any increase in apatite?

Also thoughts about dropping from 10mg to nothing? My GP is fantastic but is on hol just now, I spoke to him about reducing but then I've just missed 2 days accidently and thought I'd just carry on and see how I go. I know after a month or so on citalopram I knew if I was a few hours late taking it, the last 2 days I've felt fine but I'm worried it might creep up on me!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jill. I have been taking citalopram for the last 10/11 years and have always been on 20mg. Over the years I have gained a total of 7.5 stone and I am constantly tired. I was always a slim lady but am now obese.it makes me feel horrible about myself. However.. i decided last month that enough is enough and I want to come off them so after speaking to my GP we agreed to do it slowly. I started alternating daily 20mg 10mg 20mg 10mg and having done that for a month I am now on 10mg daily and so far I feel okay. I have my moments of no patience and irritablity bit I get through it.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Lorraine. I feel better knowing someone can reduce after that length of time on a drug. I feel like it's almost the security of having a pill to take that stabilises my mood now rather than the actual need for it...but I guess time will tell!

• Posted

My daughter was on 20mg for year an a half just came off dropped a 1/4 pill every 2 weeks with no problems the slower the better
  • Posted

Hi Jill,

Yes it may creep up on you and hit ya like a train! It all depends how you have reduced and feel so far?

One question people who wish to reduce are asked is why do you want to? Therefore, my question is, are you recovered and feel confident to give it a try and go it alone? If you are not in a good place re recovery then don't I'd say. Especially, if the motivation is purely of a sexual and physical nature. Sounds a little harsh, but I'd rather see you mentally fit to then get fit first or else you'll end up at square one again. When we come here it is not so we can go back to being me again or my old self or wanting to be normal (whatever that is? It certainly is not the lifestyle we are brainwashed to live, for sure) because, that is what brought us here in the first place!

Even being a male I can understand what you are going through as I put on 3 stone and my labido is only about q quarter of what it used to be however, my Fiancee has no complaints! A week ago yesterday I started work again after 19 months being signed unfit (a new job) which may be only part time, but I am already feeling better fitness wise. By walking the mile to and from work each day I work. I also have osteoarthritis in both knees which have been under great strain from the weight gain, but are now beginning to complain less! I even bought two pairs of new work trousers one that fits and one I'll slim in to which gives me an added incentive.

Obviously, I do not know what your work or social situation is, but if we give ourselves goals to aim for not only does it stimulate the old cerebral vortex (in my case), but alsotakes ours minds of all the sh*te too!

Saying all that and getting back to your last sentance again, if you get the smallest inkling of feeling yuk! Then take a dose no more than 20mg that you feel you will be comfortable with to get you back on track and start again if you feel you are mentally fit enough to start reducing again. I was advised to reduced like so 40mg as usual next night 35mg then 40mg and then 35mg and so on until, you have adjusted to this then 35mg one night and 30mg the next etc., etc. It may take a week, a month or ? for each set of reductions, but it is the most recommended and best way! I have only got over some personal issues (not related to my illness) so I have not started reducing, but want to give it a go as soon as I feel ready.

Goos Luck

Best Regards,

David

PS When I started reading your opening paragraph I thought because you had never joined a forum like this (and wished you had) that you were taking Cita just to join LOL!) Sorry, this is how Cita has affected me too! LOL!

• Posted

Hi Jill,

Yes it may creep up on you and hit ya like a train! It all depends how you have reduced and feel so far?

One question people who wish to reduce are asked is why do you want to? Therefore, my question is, are you recovered and feel confident to give it a try and go it alone? If you are not in a good place re recovery then don't I'd say. Especially, if the motivation is purely of a sexual and physical nature. Sounds a little harsh, but I'd rather see you mentally fit to then get fit first or else you'll end up at square one again. When we come here it is not so we can go back to being me again or my old self or wanting to be normal (whatever that is? It certainly is not the lifestyle we are brainwashed to live, for sure) because, that is what brought us here in the first place!

Even being a male I can understand what you are going through as I put on 3 stone and my labido is only about q quarter of what it used to be however, my Fiancee has no complaints! A week ago yesterday I started work again after 19 months being signed unfit (a new job) which may be only part time, but I am already feeling better fitness wise. By walking the mile to and from work each day I work. I also have osteoarthritis in both knees which have been under great strain from the weight gain, but are now beginning to complain less! I even bought two pairs of new work trousers one that fits and one I'll slim in to which gives me an added incentive.

Obviously, I do not know what your work or social situation is, but if we give ourselves goals to aim for not only does it stimulate the old cerebral vortex (in my case), but alsotakes ours minds of all the sh*te too!

Saying all that and getting back to your last sentance again, if you get the smallest inkling of feeling yuk! Then take a dose no more than 20mg that you feel you will be comfortable with to get you back on track and start again if you feel you are mentally fit enough to start reducing again. I was advised to reduced like so 40mg as usual next night 35mg then 40mg and then 35mg and so on until, you have adjusted to this then 35mg one night and 30mg the next etc., etc. It may take a week, a month or ? for each set of reductions, but it is the most recommended and best way! I have only got over some personal issues (not related to my illness) so I have not started reducing, but want to give it a go as soon as I feel ready.

Goos Luck

Best Regards,

David

PS When I started reading your opening paragraph I thought because you had never joined a forum like this (and wished you had) that you were taking Cita just to join LOL!) Sorry, this is how Cita has also affected me - LOL!

• Posted

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. I spend all day thinking about my motivation to stop after I read it! I actually don't think I started to think about the side effects and consider them related to the medication until about a week ago when I was already well on my way to stopping them.

I've been feeling for a while now like I'm able to cope with things better and like I've dealt with a lot of issues so I wanted to see of that's me being mentally well again or if it is just medication helping.

Yesterday I filled my diesel car with petrol on the way to work...(this is the kind of thing that happens to me all the time ha ha). Last year I would have had a complete melt down but yesterday I was able to think Oh well, sh*t happens and deal with it so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Although I did read it would take a week for the cit to be out your system.

Anyway, I feel good so far, but like you say as soon as I feel things are sliding I can go back to the medication. I still have plenty left.

I hope it's going well for you being back at work!

Jill

• Posted

Hi!

Good to hear that a major mistake like that, with the fuel, has blown over you with little effect. Yes, a good sign!

Work is going well, in again tomorrow, the sun is shining and the veg and fruit in the yard are coming on nicely.

I hope you continue to remain level and get better and better!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.