Weight Gain and Weight Loss From Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started Mirtazopine (Remeron) a couple months ago. I was on Zyperxa before that. I read about weight gain people had on Zyprexa and asked my psychiatrist to look for an alternative. He prescribed me Remeron, and after I asked if there would be any weight gain he said no. I took his word for it, since we have had a really good connection for the past 10 years.

However, I noticed my appetite increased, and kept increasing with each increased dose. I've been trying to lose weight for the past 5/6 months since getting out of treatment. I didn't feel like I needed to look research much of Remeron since my I put my trust in my psychiatrist as I always do. Since feeling like my life was spinning out of control and I wasn't losing weight, I decided to put the matters into my own hands. After seeing a dietician for the past 5/6 monthes, we had tested and ruled out all possibilities for why I wasn't losing weight. We have been working tirelessly trying to figure out the problem.

So as I did research on my own on the medication, I stumbled upon a LOT of frightening news. People gaining 20-90 pounds on Remeron. This scared me to death. Not only that, put I read about TONS of people having increased, uncureable hunger from Remeron. I had to get myself off this stuff!

I hadn't been sleeping that well after the last increase to 45mg at night. What I did notice is that my hunger was out of control and I was eating in the middle of the night and in the morning (which I never did before). I felt like I was gaining weight, and felt out of control from the frequent eating. This was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I had wanted.

So, my question to you is, did you have crazy hunger while on Remeron, and for those of you who have discounted Remeron, were you able to lose the weight? Also, how long did it take, and when did you hunger begin to decrease after you stopped Remeron?

Thanks! smile

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi billie, I've been on Mirtazapine for around 7yrs,and yes I put weight on but I did need to. I was on 45mg but I have tapered down to 15mg at the moment.  To answer your question as I was coming down I was loosing the weight ,although I don't think I will go back to the weight I was (I don't want to) I do think I'll loose more as I come off it.

Just a word of warning though,if you decide to tapper off the drug take it really slowly,because the WD for a lot of people can be quite bad.

So slow is the message.  Take care 

• Posted

Did your appetite lessen right away after you starting decreasing the dose, or did it take a couple days/weeks under this happened?

I went cold turkey from Remeron, but I'm not really having and side effects other than feeling sick, fatigued, unable to focus, and still have a appetite sad

• Posted

Hi billie,I was just reading,if I read it right,you've been cold turkey for about 3-4days. Well the WD don't kick in till about after 10 days or more,so be aware.  GPs Psychiatrist,don't really understand the WD of this drug.

Dont let weight gain put your well being at risk.  You will loose weight as you WD.   Take care.

• Posted

Norma,

After about 10 days should my appetite go down? I still can't believe its been about a week and there hasn't been much change in my appetite sad

• Posted

hi ive just reduced my dose not though choice i had my last tab tuesday night and wd hit me on friday morning yukkk  so everyone is different so if you start feeling off before 10 days its most definetly wd but as soon as you start to wd believe me you wont want to eat anything all ive done is be sick and have no appiete anyway. ive thankfully stopped being sick today and feeling betterish. so i think it seems the quicker you start to withdraw the quicker it is as ive heard it goes on for weeks for people but im on day 5 almost 6 and improved so much xx
    • Posted

Billie,You didn't put the weight on in a week ,so your not going to loose it in a week.  Be patient and if your body works anything like mine you will loose some weight.  I must add to that by saying I haven't lost my appetite at all,I'm still eating the same as I did before WD.

I do believe the drug puts weight on,but it does also depend on what you eat.  I wouldn't say I eat terribly healthy,but I've never really been into chocolate and sweets,but I do love crisps,cheese bread and bacon sarnie.

billie just be patient and wait and see.  Take care and stop worrying 

• Posted

Lauren,

I've been off remeron for about 10 days now, and the withdrawl is starting to hit me. The past 10 days I've been feeling more sick, my appetite was still pretty high, was having headaches, my stomach was churning, and my insomnia peaked up again. Last night, I think the withdrawl started to hit me. I read for most people the serious withdrawl symptoms dont start til about 10 days after stopping remeron. Last night, my hunger greatly decreased, I had a lot of cramping, and was feeling very "flu like" sick. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm hoping this is the actual withdrawl and this medication is getting out of my system. How much has your hunger gone down? What have been your symptoms? 

Thanks for the reply! 

• Posted

Norma,

How long have you been off the medicine? Do you think your appetite will ever go back to normal? I've never been a sweets person, and while on the medicine I didn't "binge" or eat unhealthy foods. I usually had apple slices, lean turkey, and protein shakes. I really hope my hunger will return to normal and I can get back to losing weight. This drug has put my in a traumatizing nightmare. 

Thanks for the response!

• Posted

Hi billie,As I said I've been on this drug for years,started at 45mg and its took me nearly 12mths to get to 15mg. BUT that's due to suffering serverely with IBS,so I'm happy to stay here for a while longer.during that time though I did just loose over a stone,in no time,but you do have to be patient,and please don't WD to quickly because you may suffer more.

I believe the drug puts weight on,because as I say my diet hasn't changed much,I've always had an appetite,even when I was only 6-10 I'm now just under 9st which suits me.  Billie please don't worry about weight your health is more important.take care x

• Posted

Norma, 

I suffer from IBS too, does it get better when you take out the drug? I have been completely off the medicine for about 10 days, and the WD isnt horrible, but whats bothering me most in the hunger. I HATE being hungry, and I'm not used to it. I'm also not used to not being able to lose weight, I've always been able to in the past. I don't know how to be patient when I don't know how long it'll take til things go back to normal.

Thanks for the concern, I know health is important, but all I care about is my weight. I'll do anything to be able to lose weight again, and waiting for this medicine to get out of my system is killing me! My depression is worsening, and I'm crying all the time.

• Posted

Hi Part of the depression and the tears could well be WD,but because you are so anxious to loose weight,that's what your putting it down to billie.

You haven't been off the drug long enough to see any change,it can take 2-3mths to come out of your system if your lucky.  I know a man who is on his 5mth and still suffering WD.  I can only repeat please be patient and take a day at a time.   WD can also upset your Tum especially if you already have Tum problems.  So take care.

• Posted

Norma,

Thanks for the response. That really scared me that the drug is going to take months to get out of my system. I don't want to be having these symptoms that long, and have to wait that much longer before I can lose weight sad

• Posted

Hi Billie

I have to agree with Norma (hi Norma !)  initially Mirt' makes you crave carbs, cake, chocolate and all the things you are usually careful with - it's loike you don't have a choice in the matter.  I've been on Mirt for 10 months and the craving for these foods are a lot less.  I have put on 20 lbs and intend to slowly wd later this year.

Again, do "hear" what we're sayiong about withdrawing slowly - Mirt is difficult to come off, probably your doctor and p'doc don't appreciate this.  You can read up on this forum about it or ask Norma or myself if you like.

Wishing you well x

• Posted

I decided to cut it out right away, and aren't having horrible side effects. Ive been off of it for about 3 days, and am wondering when my appetite will start lessening. The weight is a HUGE issue for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.