Weight Gain and Weight Loss From Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started Mirtazopine (Remeron) a couple months ago. I was on Zyperxa before that. I read about weight gain people had on Zyprexa and asked my psychiatrist to look for an alternative. He prescribed me Remeron, and after I asked if there would be any weight gain he said no. I took his word for it, since we have had a really good connection for the past 10 years.

However, I noticed my appetite increased, and kept increasing with each increased dose. I've been trying to lose weight for the past 5/6 months since getting out of treatment. I didn't feel like I needed to look research much of Remeron since my I put my trust in my psychiatrist as I always do. Since feeling like my life was spinning out of control and I wasn't losing weight, I decided to put the matters into my own hands. After seeing a dietician for the past 5/6 monthes, we had tested and ruled out all possibilities for why I wasn't losing weight. We have been working tirelessly trying to figure out the problem.

So as I did research on my own on the medication, I stumbled upon a LOT of frightening news. People gaining 20-90 pounds on Remeron. This scared me to death. Not only that, put I read about TONS of people having increased, uncureable hunger from Remeron. I had to get myself off this stuff!

I hadn't been sleeping that well after the last increase to 45mg at night. What I did notice is that my hunger was out of control and I was eating in the middle of the night and in the morning (which I never did before). I felt like I was gaining weight, and felt out of control from the frequent eating. This was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I had wanted.

So, my question to you is, did you have crazy hunger while on Remeron, and for those of you who have discounted Remeron, were you able to lose the weight? Also, how long did it take, and when did you hunger begin to decrease after you stopped Remeron?

Thanks! smile

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've found since starting on it about 3.5 months ago that I've had an increased appetite and when I've had a meal about an hour and a half later I'm hungry again, I've found it hard at times to deal with the constant hunger but found if I keep distracted it helps! I've gained about a stone and am now trying to keep it to this and then try and lose some! It's the only medication I've found that has worked for me so won't be stopping it anytime soon! Xx
    • Posted

Sarah,

I'm glad it's working so well for you! I just couldn't handle the increased hunger and presumed weight gain. I'm REALLY trying to lose weight, and this drug has prevented me from doing so. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

hey i did get the crazy eating side of this med but it was very short lived and i didnt gave into it ignored it and it soon went away plus ive actually lost a stone and a half since being on mirt so it is the over eating that causes the weight gain not the tablets itself x
    • Posted

Lauren,

You're very lucky! I wish I was able to use the medicine and still lose weight. 

• Posted

Hey not lucky I get the manic side effect off them very rare I'd swap a weight increase and eating more over going manic any day. I did get this side but I just ignored it or ate grapes hence the np weight increase and it went mind over matter sort of speak plus I've worked hard to loose that weight going the gym ect. I guessed if matazpine makes you happy and works the weight gain shouldn't be a problem it does stop that side just takes time and you will loose the increased weight when it does x
    • Posted

Hi Lauren

Glad to hear you're doing ok & the manic phase has passed.  Keeping off the weight too - that's great.  

I think with some people, having had such a bad time with anx', depression & sleeplessness, once on Mirt' addresses those problems, unconsciously we turn a blind eye to the hunger and carb cravings because we are so pleased to feel 'sane' again!  Once we become mindful of what's happening - fat belly syndrome in my case !!! it's hard to shift it.  Sounds like you managed to stay mindful all the way Lauren, BRILLIANT !!

Wishing you well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.