Weight gain since coming off venalfaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been off ven for nearly 3weeks and gaining weight by the day dispute the fact that I have cut out all the rubbish food from my diet about 4 weeks ago. I'm very confused as I have read that people normaly lose weight after coming off antidepressants. Has anyone else experienced this? 

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Did you lose weight while you were on the meds? Has there been any difference in your exercise levels in the last few weeks?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's quite strange then. If it continues into the new year then it may be worth seeing a doctor as unexplained weight gain can be a sign of other things. As far as I'm aware it isn't a symptom that's usually associated with coming off the meds. It certainly wasn't for me.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah will see my doc as have found out recently that I have got liver problems and adrenal gland problems due to the very long term use of antidepressants so now wondering if they have affected my thyroid as an underactive thyroid can cause weight gain. Just makes me wonder how much more damage them bloody drugs have done to my health 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Michael,

If I were you I would definately see your primary care doctor. Who dx'd your liver problems and adrenal gland problems? I hope it was a naturopath because it doesn't make sense? There have been no studies on the long term side effects of antidepressants that I know of. Google it. There are many things that can cause liver damage and thyroid problems but I have never heard of Antidepressants being one of them. You are also at risk of another depression by going off of your meds. Hope your doctor can sort things out for you and get you on the mend soon.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It was found out through some blood test I had a few weeks back at the hostpital as it was part of some pre op test I had as I'm having an operation next week. I went and saw my GP as I was told to by the hostpital. I asked the doc what could of caused this and he said he wasn't sure as I don't drink smoke or use illegal drugs which is one of the causes of this so the only conclusion he could come to was that it may 32 years of taking the meds. I have mentioned all this in previous posts and also someone else on this forum said that she had the same problems after 26 years on antidepressants. Also I would just like to explain why I came off the meds, I was on them for 32 years and I got worse over the years I have tryed everything but nothing works. To be honest I felt 10 times worse on them than I do off them because I don't have the horrable side effects anymore. I'm just one of the unfortunate people that don't respond to meds as not everyone does. I think 32 years was along enough try. I still suffer with the anxiety and depression but have to look at other ways to deal with it from now on. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I forgot to mention that there is something on google about this the adrenal gland I mean. Apparently it's called adrenal fatigue and caused by a number of things and one of the things is long term use of antidepressants it's all very long to explain on here but the bottom line is that chemicals have a very negative effect on the adrenal gland and exhaust it. As for the liver enzyme problem that still a bit of a grey area and might be caused by something else so still not 100% sure if the drugs have caused it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good Luck on your surgery Michael. It is good they picked these problems up with pre-op testing. Now they can watch your liver and find out what is going on with with your adrenal gland.

Best of Luck...Kelly

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No I have not had that happen. Perhaps your portion size is larger? Try keeping a pad in your pocket and write down everything you eat and how much. At the days end tabulate your calorie intake. It sounds like your eating more calories then you are burning off.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I put on a lot of weight when taking Effexor.  When I stopped I completely lost my appetite and lost all the added weight and more.  Suppose we are all different.  The weight loss did not start until quite a time after I stopped medication. 

Hopefully you will lose that weight.   Perhaps it will take a little time.  Carry on as you are, I am sure that weight will go soon.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up