Weight gain while on Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 37 year old female and I've been on Citalopram for 7 months.  Other meds haven't helped me nearly as much as the Citalopram.  It's been a huge help with my anxiety and depression.  Unfortunately, I've gained 30 lbs.  I've never struggled with my weight.  I've always been 5'8 and around 135.  Has anybody else had this problem?  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Tara!

Good to hear the Citalopram has worked out so well for you re: you feeling better etc,

However, i actually lost weight as i felt sooo unbalanced!

Am not on Mitzaplem (sp?) which really helps my depression but, makes ME put o weight and i've never ever been "fat" or "obese"

Catch 22 eh?

• Posted

Hi Tara, I am also on Citalopram for the last 6 months and have also gained weight. I have also found that the Citalopram as helped me great with the panic attacks and anxiety. I cannot afford to put much more weight on and am even eating less. So i can understand how you feel.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

How many mg are you all on? I'm on 20 and I've been on it for 21 days now and still feel anxious and have panic attacks. Will it get better with more time in it?
    • Posted

Hi Nicki, Citalopram can take 6-8 weeks to stabilise in your body. I am on 10mg as i found the 20 mg made me feel more anxious. Have a word with your GP. I would prefer to take the lower dose as i don't want meds if i can help it, it takes the edge off. I have reduced my panic attacks to virtually nill and anxiety is greatly reduced.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Nicki,

It has been 6 weeks for me on citroplan and feeling the benefits. On 10 mg keep going it does get a lot better , glad i did.

• Posted

I'm so glad to hear that your anxiety has improved taking Citalopram.  I am week 4 and still have slight anxiety but not like before. I am taking 20mg and intend to continue. I too though have lost weight - but this might be down to the anxiety.  I don't want to lose any more (it causes me more anxiety) and I just hope as the weeks go by now going up to 6-8 weeks my body will calm down even more.

It really is helpful though to hear how you have all improved.

Thanks and good luck everyone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.