Weight gain whilst on anti-depressants

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, after shedding a lot of weight a few years back when diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic (went from around 136kg to 89kg), over the last couple of months as my anti-depressants have been tweaked, comfort/boredom eating have kicked in, and I've ended up putting on 8kg in that short space of time.

Can anyone advise on how to combat this whilst struggling?

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

ADs boost appetite. You could try another AD.  Or wait and see if side effects of eating on ADs wears off. 

Or, buy some smelly food and let it go rancid and off. Then, when  you feel urge to eat between normal meals, take a good long sniff of it. This will put you off thinking about food for a while. Teach your brain than thinking about food will result in bad smells. It will soon learn. 

• Posted

Hi, I'm similar I tend to snack on chocolate but all its done is halted my Wright loss.

Suggest you comfort eat on healthy stuff, low fat products, maybe go for an evening swim, walk or other exercise this will also help with your depression. I know how difficult it is to stop comfort eating.

Neil 

• Posted

Type two diabetes is reversible with a good diet although it's difficult

Your pancreas is still working just not to its full effect

My advice would be to consult your dr and ask for a nutritionalist to advice you on a week to week diet plan once your weight is under control and you train your body to eat a proper times of the day regularly then your blood sugars will return to a managerial level

Good luck mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.