Weight loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I suddenly began having panic attacks/severe anxiety everyday about 5 weeks ago. My weight has been dropping off (couldn't afford to lose any in the first place). I have no appetite & can't eat much at all. I have a weight gain powder which has 700 calories per scoop. Will this actually help me maintain/gain my weight or do I still have to eat a lot to stop losing weight? I just need something to stop the weight loss until I get my appetite back. I've started on Citalopram 6 days ago so think loss of appetite is one of the side effects.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks smile

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was 23 when I first got anxiety and I to lost weight.Or sort of took over really I couldn't stop thinking about me weight loss and people who comment would trigger more anxiety. I got myself replacement food drinks so I knew I was eating enough I remember feeling Gastly thinking or will never end and I will just get worse and worse.Once my tablets kicked in and I calmed I gradually started to feel hungry again.That was 30 years ago and I have never been back there ! I do no some drugs do have the side effect of weight gain and I have had them in the past and I couldn't stop eating so go day by day and try not worry about the weight it will sort itself out one way or another you won't just disappear !I really truely know how hard it is as you look at yourself and are fully aware of how much you haven't eaten but it is temporary ! Hope it gets easier very soon i truely think it will.Take car now x
    • Posted

Hi Gill,

That sounds exactly like me at the moment! I am drinking protein shakes, 2 a day with about 1000 calories. The more i think about it the worse it gets! How long did your tablets take to kick in? I've been taking Citalopram for a week now & still can't eat, although I was constantly being sick to begin with, I'm not longer actually sick which i suppose is an improvment. I just feel sick everytime i think about food. I'm literally thinking im going to end up in hospital being fed by a tube right now sad x

• Posted

I know I used to think that too. You don't though. It took nearly three weeks for me but as soon as you feel yourself wanting even a tiny bit of food or enjoying a tiny thing the stress lessons and you on the road of weight gain. Try see it as not a problem have anything you think you can stomach.I remember going upstairs just to be away from the smells from the kitchen. It will go away and you definitely won't be fed by a tube in hospital that's the anxiety. Just try say yes that's a thought but it's certainly not a fact. Keep having the drinks so your body getting what it needs and give it a coupe weeks to settle down.I know that is a big ask but it will be ok xx
    • Posted

How much weight did you lose? I think I've lost around a stone and I was only 8.5 to begin with sad I also go

In a different room to get away from the smell when my partner is cooking! My stomach really hurts today but still no appetite sad I'll carry on with the protein shakes & fruit X

• Posted

I lost over a stone too. Was slim anyway but went thin.I had been anxious child as childhood not great. Mine went a lot worse when I got arrived at23. Think the whole wedding and house move just proved to much for me. I used to go to boots every day and get paper readings out I stayed at work but I can remember thinking I will lose my job if this carries on !I didn't thou as it gradually got better. Has anything triggered this for you that you can think of ! How's your partner feeling it's a strain I felt guilty for being the way I was ! Xx
    • Posted

Yes I've always been anxious too but only began having panic attacks about a month ago and feeling extremely anxious! I graduated uni in September and have been stressed constantly since then, I ended up getting a job to do with my course about 5 weeks ago but it was just work experience to begin with then paid but very little money. I think this is what tipped me over the edge. I couldn't go in much at all and actually quit the other day because I'm that bad. But she was so understanding and said I can start again when I feel better if I want. My doctor told me to have 2 weeks off too. I'm just about to ring my doctor and see if there's any anti sickness things I can take! Ohh I feel exactly the same, very guilty for feeling this way and having to put my partner through all this but he's been amazing, loses his patience sometimes but think anyone would! My anxiety is decreasing slowly, I haven't had a panic attack in about 5 days or been sick. Just can't deal with the no appetite sad do you know any over the counter anti-sickness things I could take? Xxx
  • Posted

I lose my appetite as well when I'm stressed and not being able to eat brings more anxiety! I don't think it's a side effect of Citalopram. I'm on Citalopram as well and I remeber that my doctor told me the first time she prescribed it to me that I should expect a weight gain in the next months as my mood gets better. Be patient and try to eat small amounts. Try not to think about it too much. Everything will be gradually back to normal again.
    • Posted

Ahh did you expereince loss of appetite/sickness when you first started taking Citalopram? Right now i think im going to end up in hospital fed by a tube sad 
    • Posted

I already had loss of appetite due to anxiety when I started citalopram so I can't say for sure. My doctor suggested I take the medicine in the morning with a bit of food. Nothing big. Just a bit of bread for example. I guess the medicine might make you feel sick with an empty stomach. Take your time, give yourself a break. People don't just end up in hospital if they haven't eaten properly for a few days. When I'm like that I think that I'm going to faint, but you know what..it's the anxiety that makes me catastrophise. If you really feel that bad maybe talk to your doctor to give you some xanax for immediate relief until the citalopram starts working. However you should be careful with medication like xanax as they should be given short term. 
    • Posted

Yeah I wasn't eating properly before either! Thanks I'll try taking it with some fruit or something. It's the only thing I can seem to handle eating at the moment. I also feel like I'll faint & a few times I have had to lie down. My stomach really hurts this morning, still no appetite though! My doctor originally prescribed me lorazepam which didn't do anything for me, she has now prescribed me propranolol which I feel no different when I take it. I might ring the doctor today and ask for some anti-sickness pills X
  • Posted

Don't worry. I was 8 and a half stone at Christmas know I'm like 7.2.. I was on sertraline but due to the weight loss I've come off it. I think it's a normal thing with anxiety as its stressful. The weight loss problem is giving me head aches and making it hard to do day to day things that shouldn't be a problem. I know how it feels. I hope you're back to your normal self in no time xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.