weight loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all when we get to menopause will the extra weight go 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No, you have to work out or change your diet to lose the weight. I'm going through it now, even though I loss weight, I gained some 10 pds but with exercise and changing my diet I plan to lose it again.

• Posted

Hi Karen, I lost weight during the menopause being feeling sick and vomiting was worrying for me....I have put it back on but more in the stomach area I'm hoping myself I would loose it there.....I hope you lose it after meno hugs xx

• Posted

No, 'fraid not. You can only do that by eating the right food - and smaller portions.

By cutting out sugar, highly processed food and take-aways and eating more veg, salads and organic meat and dairy (Full fat - non of that fat free rubbish) I have lost 24 lbs  since the beginning of this year, without counting a single calorie!cheesygrin

• Posted

I gained about 30 lbs. since last summer. Mostly in my stomach, legs and behind. I hated being too thin last year. Now im the opposite, but Im really not watching either. Seemed to be more hungry than I was last year.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Unfortunately, weight gain at menopause can be a real issue. It does tend to accumulate around the waist, stomach region.

It is a good idea to look at your diet and how much food you ate consuming. There is a tendency to comfort eat during menopause to compensate for other negative feelings!

I have found that controlling portion size, preparing my own meals rather than takeouts and eating regularly (breakfast, lunch and evening meal) stops picking at food throughout the day. Avoid sugary drinks and drink lots of water, maybe with a hint of lemon or lime to add interest!

Low fat products are often loaded with lots of sugar so watch this. Reduce carbs like bread, but don't cut it out completely as I found that I picked at other food all day. Try to include salads and fish in your diet. Snack on unsalted nuts and fruit. Introduce some exercise and activity into your day to avoid thinking about food, As it can sometimes be a boredom thing.

Don't deprive yourself of the occasional sweet treat, we all need it sometimes! I am following this regime and it is working, physically and mentally.

Good luck!

• Posted

I second all of that - it worked for me. Now I just have to go outand buy some new jeans and trousers as mine keep sliding down now!eek

• Posted

Good on you girl! It is a slow process, but beats those fad diets and can be maintained. I have 5lbs still to lose and then I shall be happy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.