Weight loss during peri!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it normal to lose 12 pounds in one month? I still don't have an appetite but I'm forcing myself to eat and my weight is steady dropping.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it is. The harder symptoms started for me in the past 5 months and I went from a 265 to 184. I didn't have an appetite at all and the symptoms were so hard to deal with that eating was the last thing on my mind. I was barely eating anything. My appetite has changed a bit so I'm eating more. But it is common in peri.
  • Posted

Yep. Happened to me last Spring. Somehow I gained the weight back though. My obgyn not my PC could figure it out. I assumed its all hormone related. You should gain it back eventually. Took my body about 6 mos. To get back to my normal or fatter self. I'm glad though. I was do scared I had cancer or something fatal. Had a bunch of tests done and all came back normal. I think it wsd mostly anxiety and worrying myself to yhd point where I couldn't eat. You'll gain it back. Try not to worry yourself. Work out. Going back to the gym helped gain my muscle back too. Back to my old plump self. .
  • Posted

Hi Unico,

My weight dropped early peri but came back and some after post meno.

• Posted

Yes i must have lost at least a stone and half, my appetite went and i did have gastitis so i was limited to what i ate, i have now put the weight on plus abit more it seems so have gone the other way!
    • Posted

Me too Pinkcatfairy. It was horrible. Then slowly. I mean slowly it came back on. Now I'm about where I was a year and a half ago. I'm still too big, and I know I've got to try and lose some, but I don't want to lose it so rapidly like before where it scared me to death, but I don't want to become diabetic either. I have too good of an appetite now. So weird. Go from not being hungry to hungry almost all the time. This perimenopause sure plays major havoc on my metabolusm.
    • Posted

That's what I'm saying! I needed to lose some weight but to lose some weight but it scared me that I lost so much in 1 month without trying and I had been trying for a year and could only lose 10 lbs here and there and then gain 22 right back
    • Posted

Yes it scared me to loose it like that, i tried to cover myself up becauae i didnt want people noticing it which they did which worried me more! I hated having a bath or shower becauae i didnt want to see how much i had lost x
    • Posted

Oohh me to. I don't like looking at myself I've lost so much weight. Even though I needed to lose weight because I had packed on some pounds and really fast. Then when all this happened I started losing the weight really fast. My family scared me because all they were talking about was how small I was getting. But now my appetite has seemed to change. Now I'm hungry and craving sweets more. I haven't lost anymore weight. Looks like I gained a pound or two back.
    • Posted

I know what ou mean bout looking noticeably skinny. Hated it too. You will get back there Jamie. It takes a long time. Went through the same thing. Now I gained it all back, but still keeping my skinny clothes just in case I revert back again.
    • Posted

I try not to focus on it. If I do, I will drive myself crazy with worry. This stuff is a worry in itself. I worry everyday about these weird body sensations. That's all the worry I can handle rite now. I am glad that my appetite has picked up.
    • Posted

Yes i needed to loose abit but when it happens without you trying it gets so worrying, tge gastitis took away all my appetite and i was getting anxious at tea time because i wasnt hungry and got myself into abit of a state and at times i started to eat before my husband came home incase i struggled to eat it and it would have stressed me further for him to comment about not eating, it really was a scary stressful time x
    • Posted

I truly understand. I had so much gas and bloat, that eating was too much. I was worried as well, my family even noticed that I was barely eating so them saying it made me worry even more and the stresses of what was happening to me made me not want to eat. So I understand. It's very stressful.
  • Posted

i was in peri before i could read into the symptoms

1st phase - put on weight rapidly

symptoms got horrendous

2nd phase - lost 10 kg rapidly ( cut down on sugar/rice/tea )

3rd phase - appetitite better inspite of bouts of nausea, unhealthy hunger - weight gain of 4 kg till now

• Posted

Yep. I'm in Phase 3. Just luckily no nausia. Hungry a lot more. Never satisfied no matter how much I eat. Major night sweats and some day flashes mostly when I get nervous or worried about something. Sometimes occsssional headaches.
    • Posted

didi, some of the worst symptoms are probably connected to anxiety attacks

for me its really funny - sometimes id be so nauseous and ready to throw up and the next minute id be relishing a certain dish

ive gone back to having sweets, rice, spicy stuff now and then, black tea - but im careful of the quantity

• Posted

I'm having the nausea, hot flashes and insomnia ! Like now I haven't been to sleep since I woke up at 8:30 a.m . yesterday morning. I'm tired but restless at the same time. I have had anxiety attacks for a couple of years now so don't know if they are my symptoms of Peri or not. I have not been able to watch a happy movie because I buss out crying at the happy parts or a sad movie because I cry at the sad parts so I started watching talk shows and I'm still crying over them! These mood swings and vulnerability is driving me crazy!!
    • Posted

Yes. I had a lot of digestion issues last year. I usually have some anyways because I have divericulosis, and some issues with dairy products. Just more so last year. So I have to watch or take some lactose or antacids whenever I'm eating these types of foods. Now wine seems to bother my stomach more, but It I'll drink it anyways. Always something new a bothersome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.