Weight Loss on Mirtazapine

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has had success losing weight on Mirtazapine. My doctor has advised it slows down Metabolism.

I have gained 2 pounds, however I think that was from binge eating. I have started a new low carb diet and I started B Complex. I will let everyone know my progress, however if anyone could share if they've had success please message.

Some positive encouragement would be appreciated!!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good Morning,

I take effexor and was taking mirtazapine.I gained a lot of weight.Just bought a book called Serotonin Power Diet.A diet that hepls people who are taking anti depressants.I need to read it and then make a plan of action.All this weight is hard on my artificial knee and hips. Do not ger discouraged, I ealise I need to exercise more also.Good Luck.

• Posted

your post is spot on. they can all cause weight gain. will look up that book. my diet now is extremely healthy, only way i can manage my weight. chatting to a friend earlier, mentioned i feel full up and bloated a lot. have half a loaf of brown bread or brown pittas per day, he mentioned gluten issues, hadnt thought of that causing bloating, just thought id eaten too much. bloating really got me down, thought id put on weight, felt fat and heaving walking around. if you feel like that regularly, could see why you wouldnt care if you put on weight, when you mistakenly believe you are fat or overweight. thanks for the book pointer.

• Posted

have you not lost any weight since stopping mirt ? how was coming off mirt for you i am struggling. i am on ven too.

• Posted

Hello Sarah.

I have only been off mirt for one week, so hard to tell because, I have other issues.I am still on my effexor which I take in the morning, I am having anxiety attacks not sure if it is getting off the mirt or not...I guess it takes a while to get our of system, also having headaches, could be withdrawals,,,I get so frustrated..a wait and see game.take care and have a great day.

• Posted

sounds like withdrawal.

did you taper or stop cold turkey and from what dose ?

are these symptoms new ?

• Posted

did a bit of reading on weight gain while on anti depressants. cant copy link, but reputable medical source. VERY USEFULL stuff is towards end.

​1. Before starting on the medication, get weighed and report the number to your physician. Most psychiatrists do NOT have scales in their offices. Be sure your weight is recorded so when you return for follow-up visits and claim that you have gained weight, there is no dispute.

​2. Learn to tell the difference between being hungry and having an appetite. Hunger is when you must eat immediately and just about any food will satisfy you. Appetite is when you feel like eating but without the urgency of hunger. Your medication will increase your appetite and leave you with the nagging feeling that you want to eat more but won't really make you hungry. A good test of the difference between hunger and appetite is whether you are willing to eat something you really don't like that much. If the answer is yes, you are hungry. If the answer is no, then it is your appetite calling to you. My test food is a protein bar. When I am really hungry, I will gobble it down. When I only have an appetite, I won't even nibble on.

​3. Does the medication cause your stomach to produce too much acid? Some medications will do this and the feeling is similar to being hungry. A simple test is to take Tums, or some other over-the-counter preparation, to reduce stomach acidity. If the hungry feeling goes away, then you will know it is a side effect of the medicine on your stomach. Speak to your physician about long-term treatment of this

.​4. Make more serotonin. This will immediately turn off your appetite, vanquish your cravings and leave you feeling satisfied. The feeling is similar to having your thirst vanish after you drink enough water

.​5. Serotonin is made after you eat any carbohydrate except the sugar in fruit (fructose). When a starchy or sweet food is digested, the brain receives tryptophan, an amino acid that is used by the brain to make serotonin. Eat about 30 grams of a sweet or starchy food such as breakfast cereal, pretzels, popcorn, rice or soy crackers, graham crackers or Twizzlers.

​6. Eat the carbohydrate on an empty stomach or at least two hours after you have eaten protein. Protein foods like turkey, chicken, beef, fish, cheese, yogurt and eggs interfere with the ability of tryptophan to get into the brain. If you combine protein foods with carbohydrate, as in a turkey sandwich, no serotonin will be made.

1. Choose carbohydrates that contain very little fat. Fat slows digestion and adds unnecessary calories. Chocolate, cookies, ice cream, cake, pie crust, French fries, and chips are NOT good serotonin-producing snacks

​8. Avoid eating protein at dinner time if your medications make you snack all evening. By eating only a starchy carbohydrate, like pasta or a large baked potato along with vegetables for dinner, your brain will make enough serotonin to keep you satisfied and full until bedtime.

​9. Do not, under any circumstance, go on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet. This is a diet for disaster as it prevents serotonin from being made and will only increase your urge to eat and maybe binge

.​10. Exercise. The increase in serotonin brought about by eating serotonin-producing carbohydrates will increase your energy. Take advantage of this and increase your physical activity, even by a few minutes each day. The combination of no longer feeling an urge to eat and the exercise will allow you to lose weight easily or prevent you from gaining it at all

• Posted

Thanks Nigel. My vice is Crunchy Nut Cornflakes before i go to bed. Ive given up alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes to help with anxiety but it's my only vice left 😉

• Posted

took the advice about having complex carbs only for first food of the day, and have had a large bowl of ready brek with skimmed milk as first meal on an empty stomach. also had another 1 or 2 bowls during the day, and had normal diet in afternoons and evenings. felt fully satisfied all day, sometimes couldnt eat another morsel, yet ive lost weight in 1 weak. its a strange feeling, i never felt hungry, felt id eaten too much at times, yet ive lost weight. for usa, ready brek is ground up oatmeal. its more quickly digested, so you get satisfied feeling more quickly. give it a go and see for yourself.

• Posted

Thanks, I'll google that diet. I was very successful losing weight on Cipralex through diet, exercise.

I am staying on the Mirtazapine because it is considered best class for anxiety and I am able to stay on it pregnant

• Posted

Hello,

I started reading this book,they have done studies on this diet for years.I am not good at retaining info, but she mentioned that antidepressants cause your brain somehow to tell you that you are hungry, so you eat carbs carbs carbs..then you feel yucky, it is not your tummy that is hungry, but your brain telling you. Anyways this diet as I glanced through it, teaches you to have carbs one hour before your main meal at the beginning and you wean off...this obviously demands discipline, because you must have a regiment.It also teaches you eventually to avoid carb snacks.Anyways you must read it to understand.There is light at the end of the tunnel..let's keep posted...it has been very successful..apparently read on my dear friend..and take care.I am going to read on..let's keep in touch see how we do..Amzon carries the book..

• Edited

Hi,

I am managing to lose weight i have gained on Mirt,

It's not easy but it does come off. I have been on it five years and had convinced myself that the extra weight would not shift. But when i was really honest with myself, tracked my calories and upped my exercise , I've started to lose it. 10lb so far!

I'm walking briskly for maybe 30 mins morning and night to help my metabolism and using an app to watch my calories. Its slower than before i was on the drug, I'm only loosing 1lb or 2 a week but it's a big relief after reading on so many forums that it is impossible.

I'm pleased because i don't want to stop taking it as it's been a god send for my depression.

I hope that helps and good luck x

• Edited

Hi Sarah, it's a relief to hear that you've lost some of the mirt weight!! Well done! There are so many negative stories online - lots of people claim that they can't loose a pound on the medication so it's refreshing to hear that the opposite is true for you 😊 Did you have to drop your calories very low? I'm on 15mg for 3 months and up 7lbs so want to loose those now. It's a great medication so I'd hate to have to change - my anxiety and depression have improved so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.