Weight loss query

Posted , 5 users are following.

Will reducing from 30mg to 15mg help with weight loss? Has anyone got any experience of reducing doses? struggling to lose weight big time, very frustrating as trying really hard to change my lifestyle

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Philip,

I know exactly how you feel but have had to accept for me to gain the benefit of being on these meds I am really struggling with my weight.

Prior to starting taking 30 mg Mirtazapine a day I was on a diet and managed to lose 3 1/2 stone because I was so depressed and did not eat.

The mirtazapine has made me feel brand new but with it has come a voracious appetite and I quickly put on a stone before I realised what was happening.

I am currently maintaining by doing the 5-2 diet and whilst I have not gained anymore neither have I lost the extra stone.

I am just glad to be feeling so well and know I will have to lose the extra stone at some stage but for me its not the meds that are making me eat those pesky calories its me because I feel so good and food tastes so nice and if I choose to follow the diet I was on before I will also lose the stone I have put on.

• Posted

MIRTAZAPINE  is the worst offender for weight gain , apart from antiphycotic meds . i went up 2 jean sizes in 1 month . I stopped the med  i didnt want THAT. paxil is near has bad. they all give weight gain if on long enough , its usually the start where you loose wheight the bbbbbbbbbooooooommmmmmmmm
  • Posted

Since I started taking this I gained over 30 pounds and that was a little scary. I was under weight about 20 so I guess it was fine. But kept gaining so is great as the drug worked I have since stopped taking. In the last 30 days I have lost 15 pounds and I'm reaching my goal.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone but will cutting the dose in half help lose weight or do you have to stop completely?
    • Posted

Initially was prescribed 15 mg and then my doctor put me on30 mg said it would stop the weight gain . It didn't change my weight until I stopped taking. But I did gain more weight on 15 mg if that helps
  • Posted

when in hospital zoo  a girl came in, she was in a bad way and was put on mert  , she was in for 4 weeks the med worked great , but she begged the shrinks to change her med  has she was getting married  and was now way over weight , they did and she slimmed down for her wedding, with a new med and a exsercise routine
  • Posted

most wil make you put on weight  , just paxil and mertizipine  are the worst
  • Posted

What I have read online is that actually lower dosages result in higher weight gain, while higher doses will eventually stop the weight gain and keep you steady (if you keep to a healthy lifestyle).

So, to your question: I don't think reducing mirt will make a difference for your weight gain. 

Since I've been on mirt (on and off for 4 weeks now) I've been on a very low calorie diet (1300-1500 cal per day, which is little because I am tall and heavy). I've been maintaining my weight so far. But I think only because I stopped mirt for a week in between (feeling effing miserable again) taking it for 3 days, stopping for 2 days, now taking 15 mg every 2-3 days.

I am my own little medical science project... It's insane (pun intended)

• Posted

I was wondering, do you guys find its and increase in appetite therefore making you eat more that puts they weight on or is it the mirt itself?
    • Posted

Sadly it has not much to do with eating more.

I was taking Mirt for 1 week on a 1700 cal diet (which is not much, as I am tall and heavy) and gained 4 lbs.

I stopped taking Mirt for two weeks, kept to the 1700 cal and the weight came off.

After doing a lot of reading and research I discovered that Mirt is effing up your blood glucose levels and that's why the body stores any glucose as fat and rather uses everything else as energy source. So I started taking Mirt together with Metformin (a diabetic drug that balances your blood sugar and insuline levels).

I did this for 28 days and "only" gained 2 lbs.

As soon as I stopped taking Mirt I lost 8 lbs. But my suicidal ideations are back. smile

• Posted

My mum has been put on it for weight gain, depression and sleep, we were all just a bit worried about how she was going to put the weight on as she is so small I didnt want her over eating and being ill, its interesting that its not the eating more though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.