Weight Loss With Steroids

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - can anyone recommend natural weight loss pills (e.g. diuretics) that they have found to be effective with steroids?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I spoke with my GP today and he said that diuretics don't really help as steroids make you retain muscle, fat as well as water. Diet and exercise, I'm afraidsad

• Posted

Diuretics are not recommended with steroids, I believe they are contra indicative. If you have a well balanced diet and cut out simple carbs you should be able to keep your weight under control.
  • Posted

If you want to lose weight when on pred - cut carbs drastically. That makes your body burn the fat instead of depositing it in the usual places. It also acts as a natural diuretic as carbs are also stored in the muscles - and that also retains fluid.

Diuretics are NOT weight loss pills - they get rid of fluid not fat and all that will happen is you will retain fluid again as soon as you drink something. Pred does cause some fluid retention but if it is that bad you need to discuss it with a doctor, not mess about with your fluid balance, it isn't good for your body.

• Posted

Plus, they'll stress your liver, so lots of reasons why diuretics are not good.

I hadn't realised quite how disciplined I'd need to be with my diet. I already removed bread, rice, pasta and potatoes from my diet. I'm now trying to cut out desserts and sweets. On the plus side, I'm only left with healthy stuff smile

• Posted

"On the plus side, I'm only left with healthy stuff "  - quite!

I'm afraid if you want to use low carb to lose weight you have to be very disciplined! No desserts and sweets - and actually the sugar isn't too good for PMR either! It does work for almost everybody - if they can cope with being disciplined. But that applies to any diet.

• Posted

Yes, I'm not used to diets, though.  I always used to use exercise to keep my weight down, but I need to lose the weight I put on when I was having high-dose steroids, 60mg/day, and I get too tired to do that now.  Ah well, my general health should benefit, too

• Posted

Exercise alone is unlikely to get rid of steroid weight even if you could do it. I don't think most people on here were "used to diets" - but it makes it easier I think if you look at it as a lifestyle change, the same as doing exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.