Weird feelings

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking a small dose of 5mg citalopram a week ago. 5mg per night before bed. I had the most horrible headache for days. I took pain meds and they didn't touch the pain. I felt sort of spaced out. Like foggy brained, extremely tired and zero energy. I decided two nights ago to just stop taking them, not ween off them as I though 5mg will have made no difference.

I know I didn't give it enough time and I was on a tiny dose compared to most here but is it at all possible that I'm having withdrawals ? I still have headache and am dazed all day. I keep sleeping at least 12 hrs a night. Not restful sleep. Bad dreams and waking up hot and interrupted all night. My question is should I have perhaps stopped the 5mg slowly like some here do on a bigger dose? Or was it ok to just stop such a small dose. ? Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim.I'm not sure if this is related but my son has been on citalopram 5mg for over 5 weeks and complains of always being tired which I have read is common among patients.The frustrating thing is that he has not shown even the slightest change in mood or the ability to leave the property due to his anxiety and agorophobia.Everyone says give it time though.School is fast approaching and I can only pray he goes back since it's been from Christmas break last year that he has been home.

I do hope you are feeling better,and have read the headaches are a side effect as well as increased anxiety in the first week.My son had the elevated anxiety but it subsided quickly.Now we are just waiting for some positive effects soon.I hope the same for you.Remember we are here here for you!

• Posted

I'm sure stopping the medicine how you did was absolutely fine.  You hadn't been taking them long and had only been on 5mg.  You're having side effects still - this medicine takes so long to build up, and so long to leave your body too.  Don't worry, you'll be back to normal soon.

Tiredness is a side effect and does wear off in time, whether you're taking the meds or coming off them.  It does right itself eventually.

K x

• Posted

4 days after stopping the cit. my head still feels like I'm in a fish bowl. Heavy. Tired. Bit dizzy. Really horrible feeling. Will this go away soon ?
  • Posted

i have just started on them and am feeling awful, hope yours passes soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.