Weird head fullness/pressure for months...help please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all! So I have been having this strange dull ache/pressure/fullness on the left side of my head/top of head/temples since October. It all started back in October 2 days after I noticed a large lump behind my left ear. The lump has since gooten much much smaller and sometimes feels almost flat, but other times it is much more noticeable. This weird feeling in my head, I should note, actually started in the left side of my neck/throat area-under my jaw as well, then seemed to go into my head. I went to the doctor telling them about my symptoms and fear of cancer/brain tumors and they told me it was just anxiety. All of my blood tests over the months have come back normal too. However, it still continued on. I finally had an ultrasound done of my neck and they found that I had Thyroiditis. I saw an endocrinologist and he said that he would check again in 6 months time, but as of then (late Feb), all of my Thyroid hormone levels were normal and the feeling in my head was unrelated to that. So the feeling I have in my head is a sort of fullness kind of feeling on the left side, I can also feel it on the left backside of my head and it feels like a dull sort of painless ache. I also feel it around my temples/cheekbone and over my eyebrows and it feels like those muscles feel kind of tight or dull achey as well. I also feel a weird feeling around the back of my ear near where the lump is. Some days it is worse than others, some days when I am out if feels okay. when I wake up in the morning sometimes I also feel like the top of the left side of my head is throbbing and slighlty painful, and almost like a pinched feeling inside my head. I know I am being very detailed I am just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to what I am describing. Also, I have been persistent with the doctors and they are finally sending me for an MRI on Saturday; however, now I am completely petrified that when I go they are going to find something like Tumor or aneurysm or something. I am so scared. I am always afraid of having tests done because I am sure they will find something. Years ago I had a kidney stone and was in pain for a month before the doctors finally agreed to give me a CT to find that I did actually have a large stone that had to be removed. Now a few months ago after the doctors told me nothing would be wrong, they found I had Thyroiditis. So now, naturally I am terrified I will be right again and will have a brain tumor. So anyone who can shed some light on my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I am so afraid I am going to be sick and die young and leave my husband a daughter behind. I am going to be 30 in a week and  I am so afraind of what lies ahead. sad

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I don't have as many symptoms as you but I do get the head fullness and pressure feeling often and mine is from anxiety. I find it very scary but how I cope with it is to stop everything and focus on breathing and positive self talk. Sometimes that doesn't stop the pressure but it does help with anxiety. smile

• Posted

I have the same thing. I was diagnosed with thyroditis as well. Hashimoto's to be exact. My head is all funny feeling. I had an ultrasound and they found some nodules on my thyroid...kimd of wonder if that has something to do with it. It literally feels like there is something in my head with the fullness I feel. How did your mri turn out. I notice you haven't posted since. Hoping you are okay. I go to my doctor next week, and will be pressing him for answers.

• Posted

I've struggled with anxiety since high school and have recently been dealing with it again as it come and goes. Well the last 2 weeks I've gotten these painless "pressure" feeling just above my right eye. And it's now kinda radiated from there to my upper right forehead area. It comes and goes throughout the day. First thing in my head is tumor...because it's new and I've never experienced before. I'm also dealing with some sinus congestion so in the back my mind I'm hoping it goes away with the sinus problems. BUT, that doesn't stop the anxiety and panic that comes along with these spells. I hate it and long for the days where I'm worry free. And am afraid to go to dr. Out of fear of finding out something worse. That and a huge medical bills. So every day I deal with it in hopes that it'll go away. Lorazepam has helped but as of now I have no meds. So I feel your situation and just know ur not alone! It somewhat helps. me to.know that others feel similar symptoms. I hope you get things figured out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.