weird head sensation s

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I woke up in the middle of the night with a really weird feeling in my head. It felt as if the top of my head had come off, my brain was exposed, it felt as if it was going to explode, difficult to describe. It felt as if it couldn't fit in my head. Eventually got back to sleep. Now I feel very tired and head feels very fuzzy . Is this still side effects of cit. Been on 40mg for 5 weeks, 20 before that for 8. Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes I get that too!!!! I'm on around week 8 of 20mg. I wake up and it's like pins and needles in the brain!! It's a very odd sensation but goes away after a few mins. Only get it about once a week, increasing if I've got a lot on.....I don't think it's anything to worry about smile 
  • Posted

it’s not the side effect of citalopram but, the over dependency on the drug. If you want to get rid of depression or anxiety you should not depend on drugs but you need to do physical exercise as well as mental exercise along with dietary food supplements
    • Posted

This medication is not addictive and you'll never depend on it.  You can take it for life if needed.  There's many people who have to take medication for heart problems, epilepsy, diabetes and other conditions, and depression is no different.

Depression is an illness and often people try and cope with it before succumbing to medication.  Many people cannot recover without medication and spend years suffering.

Without SSRI's I wouldn't have recovered - I suffered for about 10 years beforehand with every treatment tried, along with mental and physical exercise, dietary changes .... the lot. It brought me to my knees many times, and I lost many years of my life.  Citralopram helped me recover and I've been well and back to normal for 15 years now, and have been able to enjoy my life to the full ever since.

SSRI's aren't for everyone of course, but for the majority of people they are.  Side effects are horrendous at first, but after much perseverance, patience and lots of time, this medicine will work.

Taking this medication for 15 years at the same dose has never resulted with me depending on it, and I was medically assured I could take this for life by many professionals.  The years I've spent taking this has given me much knowledge about it.

Seeing my young son go through a breakdown this year and the heartbreaking scenes I and our family witnessed of him, will stay with me a long time.  After he started SSRI's I'm so grateful and joyous to see him him back working, laughing and enjoying his life again, which leaves me in no doubt that this medication has been his saviour too.  I have my child back.

Tina, this is a side effect of Citralopram..  There'll be many strange experiences along the way, but they'll all pass in time.  Nothing bad is happening.  Do report everything to your doctor though.

K xx

• Posted

Just To clarify....I am a triathlete who trains five time a week with no need for dietary supplements as I eat an incredibly healthy diet - unfortunately that isn't quite enough for myself who suffers from anxiety otherwise I wouldn't need to take citalopram......very presumptuous of you!!!! 
    • Posted

Me too :-)  I'm a dance teacher and dancer (still at my age lol) and teach/dance for hours, and travel around the UK and Europe training too.  I swim and do yoga too, am veggie and eat healthily so am quite fit.

It doesn't matter how strong you are, how fit you are, depression isn't fussy who it claims as it's victims - age, gender, rich, poor, race, health ....... Depression would turn the strongest, boldest man on the planet into a weeping shadow of himself.

If medication is needed, then why not.  Everyone here are all being so brave, coping with the illness and the medication too.  Support is needed for our fellow beings.

• Posted

Couldn't have put it better myself!! 😀😀😀😀 onlineherbalpil - take note!! Xx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reassurance that this is yet another side effect. It just felt really weird. I've had tight bands round my head but not like it was going to explode. I was just worrying incase 40mg is a too high dose, but my Dr didn't want to consider changing anything until after the new year.x 

• Posted

Some people do take 40mg, and you do get side effects with each dose increase.  Your doctor knows best, and waiting until the New Year will be enough time for side effects to settle and to see if this dose is suitable for you.

I'll be thinking of you all on Christmas Day ..... wherever you are ;-)

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.