Weird knee problem/pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had a basketball match, played the full game, knees were fine after the game. Overnight could not bend my knee, it was extremely painful. Over the next week the pain gradually died down. The pain was very deep and I could not pinpoint it. No swelling was present at all and this seemed very odd. Physio said probably a meniscus tear but the swelling situation was strange. Physio did all these flexion tests like rotating the knee while extending it etc... but I could never really feel much pain, only a slight uncomfortableness (this is one week after grand final game). Now I am 6 weeks into the injury, have been doing strengthening of the muscles around the knee so I can get back into basketball and can hardly feel pain anymore, but every now and then there is a dull ache (more uncomfortable than pain) when I bend my knee all the way. I had a really light basketball session tonight, I did not feel any pain, but I can't help wondering that if I do get fully back into training etc, my knee might get worse. I never fully trusted the physio's opinion about a meniscus tear, it just seems really strange. Thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Manipulating your knee by Dr can give a pretty good indication of a miniscus tear but an MRI of the knee will be needed to confirm. Swelling is a good indicator. If it's still swollen and achy after 6 weeks I'd call your Dr
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you doing the basketball on your own or with the blessing of the therapist. The torque needed to make cuts is very rough but the most dangerous is an off balance landing with a twist or someone stepping on you just as you start to make a move. Go very slow until you have nearly all the strength back.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

@Mr Nadeau; No it is not swollen at all and I wouldnt say that it aches, it just has a subtle uncomfortableness when I fully flex my knee.

@Oldfatguy1: I play basketball on my own in a team, I do have all the strength back so it feels stronger than every right now

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Play ball see if it hurts.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up