Well I've been and gone and done it.....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, just checking back in......my Revision TKR went ahead on Feb 24th and I was in Hospital for 7 nights. Been home 5 days now....it's obviously still very early days, but everything seems to be going far better than expected. True, the first couple of days were really hard - I didn't even know pain like that EXISTED, but I've got things under control now. Exercising is going well, so all in all I'm doing ok. Sore And tired, battered and bruised, but I'm definitely on the right road.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi terri

Sounds as though your doing fine just remember plenty of rest gentle exercise elevate and ice for swelling its a long journey and i wish you well.

• Posted

What a fantastic attitude you have Terri!! Continued smooth recovery to you!!
  • Posted

So glad to hear you are doing well. Keep ahead of the pain, rest and ice. You will be hopping soon! Eat some cookies and read a trashy novel. Glad you are on the mend.
  • Posted

Great to hear from you Terri:-)))  Brilliant that it's going so well now!  Where was your pain?  Did you have a spinal with the painkiller in it?  I didn't have any pain at all but did have the spinal with the painkiller in it, which they reckon works the best, and they also gave me nerve block tablets for the second night, I think.  They asked me on the following night to see if I needed them and when they asked my pain level, I said 'what pain' because there just wasn't any.  I've had paracetmol and ibuprofen during the day (the ibuprofen is dropped now) and am taking two codeine at night because they help me sleep.  I think lack of activity causes lack of sleep!  Yes, the bruising looks glorious, doesn't it LOL!  But the whole thing so far has been amazingly good for me.  I'm just a tad anxious about what's going on under the dressing, but that's due to come off on Monday and clips taken out then.  I'll be surprised if it's healed up completely and won't need another dressing, but we'll take it as it comes.  Mine was 1st March.  The only pain that I had was on the third and fourth day doing the leg exercise where you have the leg out flat and slide the knee up - I helped it with my hands one day because the muscles in the thigh hurt doing it but it was fine again after that.

• Posted

Wowzers!! I wish I had done as well as you early on!! Good for you!!
    • Posted

I wish I knew WHY I'd not had the pain so I could help everyone else not have it!  If it's not because of the spinal, and if it's not because of the work I'd done on the treadmill and recumbent bike before then I'm just wondering if it could be because I'm on anti depressants?????  I remember reading somewhere that they sometimes put people on them to help with pain so am wondering if that's got something to do with it.  I've always had a high pain threshold though.

• Posted

I am really thinking its the work you did before....treadmill, etc. I used the pain on my knees before surgery as an excuse not to do what you did!! I sure wish I had now!! But, all things said, I'm happy for you and we all eventually get through this in our own way and time!!!

• Posted

Well done Terri, now the hard work begins.

Oh what joy, leg raises, and the good old heel slides. Which I still hate!!

Good luck on your rehab, hope it all goes swimmingly & you are skipping about like a spring lamb soon.

All the best.

Stay in touch.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi terri . . so glad that things are going well for you this time! You've certainly had a hard time of it.  You deserve for everything to go really well this time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.