Well meaning but potentially harmless advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

This forum is great and needed for giving advice and comfort and very much helps people in need. I have found it comfort and helpful. It is also extremely helpful to hear of others experiences on different meds, especially when it comes to side affects which many can relate to.

But, each person is different- has a different background, situation, medial history and predilections. I feel it it somewhat dangerous for people to be giving specific advice on what meds to take, based on how they have affected themselves, one persons SSRI could be another persons nightmare. I really dont think its good for one person to be recommending a drug to another, as I'm sure most on here know it can be a long process to find what's right for you, I guess I just think it needs to be left to the professionals when actually recommending a certain drug. X

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ali, all the doctors are going to do is try them all on you anyway as they have done with me. Yes I am no doctor and I am just giving advice to forward it to your doctor. I cannot prescribe anything anyway. This site is not gospel and should not be considered as the only way. It's what others have been though and it is just a suggestion. Ok? 
    • Posted

Oh no but that's it! Sorry once again my post was crap and patronising I honestly didn't mean it that way- of course this site is for support and advice and no one is trying to be a doctor I spose I was just thinking that if iI was young again and someone mentioned a certain drug o would probably be requesting it, I was thinking from my own naive prospective, sorry really didn't mean to offend x
  • Posted

I somewhat agree with your post. People who post in desperation should be made aware by the person replying that what works for some may not work for them - in most cases I've seen that does happen.

However, I suffer with depression myself but have come to manage it, less so during the dark, dull months though. I was put on a medication that I never liked, in the beginning it numbed me until 12pm and in the afternoon I buzzed with energy until I crashed in my evenings. It was horrible but allowed me to function and stop crying during my working day. After a couple of months, whilst maybe still not feeling 100% myself (but maybe now back up to 90% - because I don't think you ever do feel just like YOU on anti-depressants) the effects started to even themselves out and I felt great although still found waking up a little hard. The point is, one of my close friends was having a terrible time and couldn't maintain relationships with her medication, she just felt nothing. If her partner had told her that they were upset she would just feel nothing and so lost relationships along the way. She asked me what I do to cope and I told her about my medication which didn't sound as harsh as hers. She was shocked because she didn't know she could actually change medication or ask for anything else or even complain about the effects. Her GP let her think it was that or nothing. I told her she should ask about others or even mine.

When I go to my GP and ask about something I've heard or I'm worried about something, it is a two way conversation. I am sorry but if a GP just prescribes you what you ask for without weighing up pros and cons for you or explaining how it works when you raise something, they should not be a GP. Therefore, any recommendations from this forum should be just advice and a GP should note it as 'just advice' whilst dealing with it accordingly. It is their job to note concerns if a patient is miserable and not handling a medication well (after all, the wrong medication, as many will know from reading the leaflets can allow thoughts of suicide). If it were so that these medications were widely available on the streets, I think it would be a major concern. However, I think anyone looking for advice on this forum has put the first step in place for help and I hope they would be educated enough about the danger of buying medication online from overseas, etc.

• Posted

Just because a drug is recommended on this site does not mean a dr will prescribe it.

People share & sometimes new drugs others are not awhere of may help. U never know. We all have opinions. Drs have more than that,its up to the dr to evaluate what drug is relevant.  We all try many and not all do help. Somtimes its a coctail that helps some times it nothin thats best. 

I totally get ur concern. Very valid. I really dont think anyone just gets a drug from their dr without the dr evaluating it for the needs of the patient. They too have a hit or miss reality. So thats why so many share what works for them. Hoping mabe just mabe it can help others. 

Many share their bad experiences with drugs they had, hoping to help . Two sides to every coin. The benefits out weigh the side effects, vice versa. Every drug has a side effects. 

Peace, Luv & Laughter

H4C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.