WENT COLD TURKEY YESTERDAY NIGHT

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

So far so good. I noticed my appetite has decreased a whole lot, which I'm happy about, because I've piled on the pounds since I've been on this medication. I'll keep you updated on any symptoms I get when they occur. And yes, I know you're not supposed to go off antidepressants cold turkey but I don't really have a choice. My prescription was about to run out and I'm out the country.

Luckily, I'm feeling a lot better now so I should be back to my old 'un-depressed' self in four weeks (I think that's how long the meds take to leave your body).

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

what dose where you on, and do you take anything else. I am also going cold turkey as of last night, but I take paroxetine and had that increased to 40mg.

Let us know how you get on.

From

Colette

• Posted

i was on 45mgs and i'm on nothing else. i do have diazepam if my anxiety goes through the roof, but i've not been needing it at all.

this is day 3. and i feel fine. i'm a bit worried about that actually. i'm wondering if the withdrawal symptoms will hit me all at the same time, when i'm least expecting it.

but yeah, i'll be updating this experience every few days smile

and i wish you all the best with your cold turkey experience as well!

• Posted

People often think \"hey this is a walk in the park\" at first but it may take serveral weeks for the withdrawal symptoms to develop smile
  • Posted

[quote:71d6b7c279=\"Dr_Spock\"]People often think \"hey this is a walk in the park\" at first but it may take serveral weeks for the withdrawal symptoms to develop smile[/quote:71d6b7c279] I'm sure this is what happened to me. I was only on a small dose for 6 weeks - stopped, and two weeks later BAM. Had to go back on 15mg which has been a disaster. Everyone is different and some people don't seem to suffer.
  • Posted

[quote:07dcb99841=\"Anonymous\"][quote:07dcb99841=\"Dr_Spock\"]People often think \"hey this is a walk in the park\" at first but it may take serveral weeks for the withdrawal symptoms to develop smile[/quote:07dcb99841] I'm sure this is what happened to me. I was only on a small dose for 6 weeks - stopped, and two weeks later BAM. Had to go back on 15mg which has been a disaster. Everyone is different and some people don't seem to suffer.[/quote:07dcb99841]

yeah i know. that's what i'm worried about too. but we'll see. as i said, i don't really have a choice. and i'm not doing much this summer, so i'll have the time to be sick and deal with the withdrawal symptoms. if i was still at university or working, i wouldn't be doing something so drastic.

• Posted

[quote:c650077c64=\"christykai1049\"][quote:c650077c64=\"Anonymous\"][quote:c650077c64=\"Dr_Spock\"]People often think \"hey this is a walk in the park\" at first but it may take serveral weeks for the withdrawal symptoms to develop smile[/quote:c650077c64] I'm sure this is what happened to me. I was only on a small dose for 6 weeks - stopped, and two weeks later BAM. Had to go back on 15mg which has been a disaster. Everyone is different and some people don't seem to suffer.[/quote:c650077c64]

yeah i know. that's what i'm worried about too. but we'll see. as i said, i don't really have a choice. and i'm not doing much this summer, so i'll have the time to be sick and deal with the withdrawal symptoms. if i was still at university or working, i wouldn't be doing something so drastic.[/quote:c650077c64] What were you put on them for if you don't mind me asking? I wish you well! Let us know how you get on! I want to withdraw sometime soon! Good luck and stay strong!

• Posted

Good luck with it, though i feel compelled to warn you that withdrawl symptoms are typically delayed with Mirt. I've tried the tapering process but still suffered terribly. Back to 7.5mg now though which is the perfect dose for me. I'm trying to get it in liquid form so i can wene myself off it extremely gradually as i seem susceptible to withdrawl symptoms.
  • Posted

Day 4 going cold turkey, today is the 1st day I have not woken up retching and feeling nauseous all day.

Feel a bit sore and weak, but put that down to all the retching, Happy days ahead HOPEFULLY, definatly feel more with it and not hungover til dinnertime with the mirt.

Wont be going on this one again, and will stick with the seroxat that I know worked well for me in the past.

• Posted

[/quote] What were you put on them for if you don't mind me asking? I wish you well! Let us know how you get on! I want to withdraw sometime soon! Good luck and stay strong![/quote]

I was put on them for depression and anxiety.

Oh, and for people following my progress, withdrawal symptoms haven't hit me yet. Hmm..i'm getting a bit worried. But it's only been 4 days and I'm feeling normal, so i guess I should be happy.

• Posted

Hi

new to this forum.

been taking mirt since march 10 for anxiety, been having CBT as well. started on 15 then went up to 30 2.5 weeks ago. went totally haywire, horrible time. things have settled down now,but have been feeling very angry, snappy and just 'not myself'. i am seriously considering coming off the mirt, its almost giving me more issues than when i had no meds if you see what i mean. I have got a docs app in 2 weeks to discuss. how easy is it to come off? i guess its a gradual thing?

L

• Posted

i cant believe it's been a week.

also i read an experience about someone's gallbladder issues. that kinda scared me. i'm feeling really good about quitting now.

also, still no withdrawals symptoms yet.

• Posted

dont know how many days it's been because i've been quite busy but i still feel fine.
  • Posted

Hi ChristyKai

Well done!! I weaned myself off them last year.

I was on them for aprox 2 years in total. About 18 months trying to wean off them!

I was on 15mg -> 30mg -> 15mg.

Finally cut down to 7.5 for ages, then to a quarter (3.75) then well...just crumbs! I did try straight from 7.5 but the withdrawals hit me badly within 3 days and interuppted my work pattern so I ended up back on 15 again for a while.

To be honest it was a scary time being in their grip and I will never go back on them. I think will just face the depression 'raw' next time :-)

Good luck and hope you finally succeed!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up