Went to the GP

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, for the past 8 months I've felt like I've expressed the symptoms of depression. I recently posted on here about it and finally plucked up the courage to actually see a GP.

I provided my GP with a piece of paper that enlisted how I felt; she told me/diagnosed me with anxiety and depression. But, because I'm only 17 she didn't want to prescribe me with anti-depressants.

She told me to ring a number for a therapist of some sort, because they'd have to talk to me about it first because deciding whether I need antidepressants.

I'm not sure what that means exactly and I was wondering if anybody else has gone through this process

- Sarah

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It varies from area to area as to how they deal with your age.  Could your mother/older sister/family member go with you to your GP so that they can give permission for you to be given them?  

The therapist would just talk to you.  You would explain your symptons as to how you're feeling- eg, do you waken up,during th night and can't get back to sleep, or waken early in the morning.  Is your mood much worse at some times of day (eg, often the morning) then it gets better as the day goes on?   Are you very anxious and finding it hard to cope?  Do ou have feelings of hopelessness?  It's not in any way threatening but she needs to find out how you are feeling, sleeping, coping - is your appetite affected?, etc.

• Posted

In all honestly, I haven't told my mum about the diagnosis and I don't really intend to so I don't think i'd be comfortable with doing that. I called them up and the therapist will apparently be getting back to me.
  • Posted

GPs have to be very careful when prescibing anti depressants to youg people. This is because there is a higher risk of medication induced suicide in younger people. The therapist will be able to assess you for this risk before prescribing them.
    • Posted

I completely get that, it's pretty understandable I guess. I just have days that I want the pain to just go away and I know tablets will somewhat help with that.
  • Posted

I am so proud of your courage to go and see your GP AND also to call that therapist!! That's such a huge step and I can promise you that things will get better now. The therapist will be very nice and ask you pretty much the same questions you have already given to your GP. They May ask you if you have ever had suicidal thoughts or if you have been hurting yourself intentionally. Don't be scared to answer honestly. They will help you either way!!

hugs and hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.