What affects your symptoms? What helps?

Posted , 7 users are following.

As I have mentioned in my previous post I am only coming to realise that some of the physical / emotional difficulties I have experienced might be hormones related and that I am most likely starting peri menopause. I have noticed if I drink red wine (and even one glass) or fizzy drinks even the diet ones or if I eat too much sugar then some of my symptoms are noticeable worse. So I wondered if anybody else have noticed something similar. Is there any food that makes your symptoms worse? And have you experienced that by avoiding such good improves how you feel? What works for you? And what makes you feel worse?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I went off gluten for awhile and cut back on sugar and it made me feel tremendously better...but being off of gluten is hard so I try to balance more instead of going a certain way on eating which sometimes I feel ok and some days, its just hard on me.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, thank you for your reply. I am on gluten free diet for the past six years because I have a coeliac disease, so I can't say whether it makes any difference to me that I don't eat gluten. I can believe sugar would make difference and I'd like to cut it down in my diet. Gluten free diet can be fairly easy to follow if you are able to cook from scratch, if you are able to give up pastry. Eating out is tricky but there is so much more free from options these days. It is more expensive though.
    • Posted

Yes, I have noticed that more restaurants and grocery stores are really starting to get a lot of gluten free/organic items...even Wal-Mart! Sugar is by far my weakness. I try to get off of it, but when I'm stressed, bored or having a bad day, thats my go to food. We just moved to a new town so we don't know anyone really well yet and no family here so not a Whole lot going on and I sometimes get so incredibly bored! I would love to give up sugar. I don't drink sodas so thats a good thing at least. I just don't keep busy enough to give it up yet😣🎂🍰🍦
  • Posted

Coffee and sugar are very problematic for me. I try to eat a lower carb diet, no gluten either but I would assume its not good either, I love fruit and while its a natural sugar, sometimes it seems like it aggravates my symptoms too. Coffee however is the worse.
  • Posted

I've been post meno for 20 yrs ,but last October ,had throid and food / drink allergy blood test done private ,came back I had antibodies in thyroid ,plus foods came back Wheat , Barley ,Soy ,Corn Cows milk ,Harricot beans etc . 

Stay off sugar and salt as much as you can ,this is a time when Candida will kick off ,due to fluctuating hormones ,so sugar big problem ,try sticking to foods that help keep hormones up ,Estrogen is stored in body fat , so don't go crazy on fad diets ,not a good move for meno symptoms . Look for foods and veg that help support the system . 

• Posted

Did you have the IGg test done? If so be careful. I had the same test done and after contacting the Allergy Association, they explained that this test (which is commonly done) is not a reliable test and went on to explain why in detail and also said that doctors often mis-speak when they interpret the test as being allergic when in fact all it means is that the body has been exposed to that certain food.
    • Posted

Lynn yes it was ,diagnosed with Elevated levels of Thyroid Peroxidase ( TPO) LgG antibodies ,then went on to have NHS ones as follow up ,borderline came back . that said I've had a neck tumor remove 3 yrs prior . 
  • Posted

When I eat sugary food and drinks, and eat fast food I immediately get bloated, gassy, and irritable. When I'm eating complex carbs, (whole grains, protein, vegetables, and fruits) I feel so much better. 
  • Posted

Hi Daisy,

I haven't really drunk very much alcohol since early peri because I felt more drunk afterwards and hangovers were worse too.

I got aversions to quite a few foods just like you do when you're pregnant.

I gave up bread because it started bloating me and giving me stomach aches.

I gave up tea and coffee because I started getting caffeine jitters.

After my periods stopped I went back to being able to drink a little (nowhere near as much as I used to). I love eggs again after feeling sick at the thought and smell of them for almost 10 years. I drink tea and coffee again. Tea isn't so bad but I can only deal with 2 coffees a day where before if I was out of tea I could drink it all day.

Bread is still a real problem white is worse than wholemeal but generally I don't bother because it can give me a nasty stomach ache for hours afterwards.

• Posted

I have cut out chocolate or any food items with caffeine because it sends my anxiety through the roof. I still get anxiety but it is made worse if I eat or drink things with caffeine. Sugar also makes me feel weird at times. It's hard to abstain from sweets! 😞
  • Posted

Yeah wine seems to upset my stomach more, and get more headaches. To prevent it, I usually take a pepcid or some type of anti acid before and an execedrin for my headaches if I feel one is coming on.

I do gave slight gsstrtitis and diverticula so I have always experienced some issues with food/drink pretty much my entire life. I'm 50 now so can only expect the unexpected to happen with regard to my stomach. Also probiotics help with better digestion too.

For right now, knock on wood, no stomach issues today. Yeah....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.