what am i doing wrong?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all, i really could do with some advice!!! i started orlistat last monday and i have been VERY cautious with the fat intake but no matter what i eat i seem to be rushing to the loo afterwards. its very uncomfortable so much so that (sorry to be a bit minging, lol) :oops: my bottom is bleeding! i thought maybe if i persevered it would settle down and yesterday i only went once but most days i go to the toilet around 4/5 times. today i had a bowl of asda vitality for breakfast with s/s milk and for lunch i had a boiled egg salad sandwich on brown seeded bread with a scrape of butter but everythin just seems to be running through me!? :shock: Help? im on the verge of giving up but i sooooooo want to do this and am putting up with the discomfort for the sake of losing weight!?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

the first problem i can see is the egg thing, one medium egg is about 6g fat. even if a scrape of butter if its not some extra low fat stuff then its probably too much fat when you add that to an egg (or 2?) and bread.

what foods have you been eating because it could be possible that what you thought was low fat actually wasnt?

• Posted

omg, i had no idea that 1 egg was so high in fat! well there you go, i have been eating cereal in the morning with s/s milk, a ham or salad or egg sandwich on brown bread in the afternoon, dinner time i have mostly been eating grilled chicken with some veg on the side, snacking on fruit and go bars inbetween. its harded than i imagined but im desperate to loose it so could really do with some pointers, thanks x
  • Posted

its the egg yolk that contains the fat (the best tasting bit sad darn!) i know some people eat egg white ommelettes or they use 1 whole egg and then 1 or 2 more egg whites to lower the fat but make a decent portion.

you need to invest a bit of extra time at your local supermarkets for the next few trips, look at what you normally buy and see if theres a lower fat alternative, check out their healthy eating ranges etc.

• Posted

also make sure you are looking at total fat and not just the saturated. so it's no more than 30g's of total fat per day and no more than 15g's of total fat per meal.

as sparkles said invest some time next shop to getting the lower fat alternatives, remember don't get anything that is over 5g's of total fat per 100g's.

It is also possible that you may have an upset stomach. If it's the tablets that is causing the problems then you should be seeing the dreaded orange and yes is it orange and oily so you will be able to tell the difference between tablet and upset stomach.

The nurse has told no more than 1 egg per week but I keep mine for a monthly fry up where I have egg, sausages (WW's one), onion and beans and it still comes in to under 15g's.

• Posted

Hi If it helps I make sure that anything that I eat is no more than 5g of fat per 100g. I have been taking the tablets for just under 3 months now and I have just lost 3 stone. Spend time reading your labels. Get to know what you can eat. I have not had any bread at all for the time that I have been on the diet. I invested in a George Forman grill. I find this great. Not only does it take away the fat but it cooks in minutes. No temptation to pick when you get in on a night. Have you tried having 1 milk. It is less fat than S/S but not as watery as skimmed. If you shop in Sainsbury it has an orange lid. Tesco is a purple lid.

Don't give up on this they do work. Good luck. :D :wink: [/b]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.