What am I meant to do now

Posted , 4 users are following.

I find it really difficult to talk to anyone about anything. Personal and after suffering for about six months with feeling crappy and realising it was just getting worse and worse I came on here for advice and you were all really helpful and nice and understanding and explain to him what I had explained on here. 

I did that and it was one of the most horrible situations I have ever been in. I told him how I felt like there wasn't any point in being here I couldn't see the point in life and I felt lost his immediate reply was "what do you want a magic fix? Because  haven't got one of those. It says here you were smoking 10a day smoking 2013 is that still the case?" When I replied I probably smoke twice that now he lectured me for ten minuteson why I should of quit smoking saying things "it's fine now but think of the cost on your family and the NHS later in life" and "how can expect people to help you when you don't start helping yourself" when all this made me cry his response crying won't fix it either. I don't know if he was trying to be motivational but he basically took everything I hate about myself told me it's true and told me it's my fault or that's what it felt like anyway.

in the end he said go to reception and ask for a counciling leaflet and I'll refer you but you have to ring and make an appointment. This was just as much of a nightmare the receptionist had no clue what I wanted, got stroppy with me when I was saying it quietly and practically made me shout it, everyone around looked. Then she sent me to some other reception who didn't know what I wanted, by this point I was crying so much I couldn't catch my breath (which is really embarrassing). The other reception woman sent a school nurse out to see me whose first question was what school do you go to, I'm 23! So she was just like oh erm oh sorry and scurried off so I sat there for twenty minutes while this woman said she was sorting it but all sshe actually did was print out a load of self help sh*t, which meant then going back to the first reception to try again after more crying some accidental shouting and being made a cup of tea I got my leaflet. 

I was scared after all that and then I lost the leaflet. I find it hard to talk to strangers and my mood is just getting worse, I can't stand to be on my own at the minute this was like nearly three weeks ago I feel like I can't call them now and I don't have the number anyway and  I don't see the point in going back to my gp after last time I feel like I've no options left where am I meant to go ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Polkadot,

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. You have been treated dreadfully. You should not have been treated this way and it was extremaily unprofessional for the gp to put you down like this. No one has the right to make you feel how they have made you feel, your worth more than that. This really winds me up when this happens to people seeking help especially when it happens to someone who is so obviously vulverable like you are at this time.

ok, first are there other gps you can see at the pratice? If not I strongly recommend you change to a new one. I saw several gp's before I found the one that I found most helpful and now I only see her. 

I don't like that people with mental health problems have to make the first phone call, this is the wrong way around. I'm sure they do this as they know a lot of people will find it too difficult to make that first phone call so it keeps the numbers down. The sad this is its the ones that need the help the most that are least likely to call.

Is there someone you know that can pop in to the gp on your behalf and get hold of the number for the councilling service? Maybe they could book the initial appointment for you or be with you when you make the first call for support?

Also, did the gp prescibe you any medication?

Please Please ignore other peoples stupid attitudes, its not a reflection of you. It just shows their lake of compassion and common human decency.

• Posted

Hi Polkadot91

Firstly I have to be honest, I am a new member to this group and in fact was posting for advice for the first time only yesterday, which I might add was also very supportive of my situation and a huge help. I have still to see my gp and heaven help them if they are anything like that.

I find your gp's reaction utterly disgraceful. The whole practice sounds like they should be ashamed of their performance. If I were you I would be demanding another appointment with a different gp and if that practice is still unable to help you properly I would seriously consider registering at a different practice if that is possible. I think you should also search for your local health authorities website and see if they list any other services that will be helpful to you.

• Posted

Hi polkadot91 your GP acted very unprofessionally, and I would go and see someone else. Are you in a group practice? If so can you ask your neigbours or friends if they are with that practice and who they would recommend. You can see any GP in a group practice. If your GP is a single handed practice I would look at changing preferably to a group practice. All you need to do is call in the new practice and say you would like to register with them.. To find a new practice go on the Internet and search GP in your area. most practices will state whether they are a group and which areas they accept patients from. Good luck let us know hoe you go on.

i change practices a few years ago because I followed a GP I liked.(and they were literally across the other side of the road) very easily no questions were asked why. When that GP left I even went back to my original practice and I am so happy I did because I have got a completely new GP who has done more for my mental health in 2 years than the other GP who I followed did in about 8 years although I did like her.

• Posted

That doctor treated you really badly, and my advice to you is find another doctor quick and hopoefully you will find a sympathetic one.  If you cannot change the practice where you go, ask for an appointment with another doctor.  Some doctors in practices deal with mental health problems so ask if you can see one.  There is no excuse for his attitude. 

Try and contact the local mental health team.  there should be details in your doctor's surgery or local library.  there are kind and helpful people out there, but you need to find them, and it seems to me now you have had that awful experience you are reluctant to get help.

I am so sorry this has happened to you, and realise how difficult it must be for you to have confidence in anyone.  Please don't isolate yourself.  Have you a relative or friend who can help you find what you need?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.