What are the chances of HIV or another STD???

Posted , 3 users are following.

The last time I was sexually active was about 5/6 years ago. Condom was used for everything except when oral was performed. Since then I went to see a urologist who performed blood and urine tests on me which he said tested for HIV and all other STD's. I did not return for the follow up appointment due to issues with social anxiety. What I'm wondering is would he have looked at the results of my tests whether or not I returned and if something showed up on the tests would he have to contact me? I went for a full physical with my family doctor in my early twenties and I was also scared at the time that I had contracted some kind of STD or HIV and wasn't sure if the tests he was going to perform on me would show that stuff but he assured me that between the blood and urine test it would check for everything and basically said "if you don't hear from me in a few weeks nothing showed up and you have nothing to worry about". Do I have anything to worry about now because I didn't go back or would I have been contacted if something showed up?

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ace

I do not understand the first part. Did the Urologist test you for everything and he checked and you have something or did hre say he was testing you for everything. Either way they are not going to call you one way or another. You have to go see them for the results. And that is between you are the doctor no one else.

How old are you now. I would go back and find out..since you had the test you should want to know.

Good luck...............Ken

• Posted

Hello, Kenneth. Thank you very much for your response.

I should have been more clear. I was having the blood and urine tests done in regards to an unrelated issue. But, they were being done to see if an STD was having something to do with the unrelated issue and I asked if it would test for everything including HIV and he said it would. It's disheartening to know that I wouldn't have been contacted even if something like that showed up. Well, this last test that I spoke of which was performed by the urologist was done about 4/5 years ago I would say, which really sucks because it would be weird going back for the results now. I have social anxiety issues and I have a phobia about STD's and stuff which makes it hard to want to find out and I'm probably just being paranoid and worrying over nothing considering there probably isn't a huge risk but...Would it be weird to go back and want the results after nearly five years do you think?

Thank you again.

• Posted

In USA the doctor will call you if your tests show something wrong , and for HIV positivity the government will go to you ,no doubt ,you will be entered in a database ,monitored and instructed on how not to spread it.

Hiv will show up in a few weeks or months ,so you are safe regarding that sex risk

• Posted

Not sure what part of this is a poor attempt at humor and what part is sincere if any. I'm not in the USA though, I'm next door.

• Posted

There is no humor anywhere ,I'm very serious , maybe you don't like the way I write ,

You cannot have HIV from sex because you did it long time ago , if it had happened you would have been sick then , maybe that's what you didn't understand.

I'm in NY and my doctor always tells me that he'll call me only if something is wrong with my tests ( if they show I have some disease )

Do you understand me now ?

• Posted

My apologies then. It just seemed like trolling at first. And yes I do understand you now and thank you very much for your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.