What are the worse days on citalopram?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know that it can take weeks /months to feel better but at the moment I feel worse than before, I am only on day 4 though. I take 20 mg.

What was your worse days on citalopram?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Been on 20mg for 11 months. Took 9 months to set in for me.

Worse days... umm... not being able to got to work for the first 4 weeks on this med. Waking up every day praying the feeling would go away. Not being able to do anything. Afraid of losing my job and significant other. Nausea. Headaches etc. I could go on but don't want to bore you.

Remember there are so many others going through the exact same thing. Stay strong.

• Posted

Hi Kerry

I am on week 11 of taking Citalopram, this is the 3rd time I have taken it as I had to come off it to gave my children but what I will say us stick with it, unfortunately your anxiety will be worse before it gets better which is a crap side effect and it's possible it will be pretty bad for 2/3 weeks, but after you should see a difference about week 4 but you may have the odd blip. I had been great for about 6 weeks there and this week is not good ( but that is because I am hormonal) but this forum has been amazing for my recovery, everyone is here to help each other the bad times and encourage through the good times.

If you ever need to chat day or night there is always someone here with words of wisdom xxx

You can beat this xx

• Posted

You are doing the hardest bit right now xxx it will take 3 or 4 weeks to start feeling better (sorry I know it feels like eternity right now) have a look on the thread 'how long does it take to get on citalopram' a few of us are at the 11 - 12 week mark now but spent the first few awful weeks chatting on there. This forum is amazing xx stick with us, you're not alone xxx
    • Posted

Hi Marf, how does the 11-12 week mark feel? Just finished week 5 and waiting patiently. 
    • Posted

Better than 5 weeks ha ha xx I'm sure there's still scope for improvement though so sticking with it and hoping for the best xxx lots of side effects have worn off but still getting the odd anxious feeling xxx mornings are loads better though so that's good xxx
  • Posted

Is it common to be worse in the mornings? I always am
    • Posted

I think so, I used to wake up with a massive feeling of dread, get up and retch (nice!) then be shaky and miserable. That's all gone now thank god, although it does take a while to get going properly xxx it helps to have a plan xxx
  • Posted

The first week was absolute hell for me... some of the very worst days, but I'm happy to say that there was very slow but steady improvement from there on. If they started you off without easing into it (starting at 10 and increasing) it can have some rough side effects, but they will pass. I started on Cit Nov 13th, and am on 24 mg (wierd, I know, but I'm on a liquid form that can be more easily adjusted for my needs). I am almost to my old self from about a year ago. It feels amazing to be more balanced and level-headed after being in such a deep state of anxiety disorder for 6-8 months. Stick with it!! 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone, it horrible because you feel so bad for ages, you finally get some help from the doctors then he gives you a tablet which initially makes you feel worse. Glad things are improving for everyone xx
    • Posted

It's cruel isn't it? Fingers crossed for the best summer ever!! xx
  • Posted

Has anyone tried talking therapy too, I've been referred by my gp and got a letter this morning to arrange an initial appointment to see which kind I should have? I'm hoping it helps too.
  • Posted

I have been on 10mg of escitalopram for a month which is dble srength of citalopram and i seen some improvement after 2 weeks,better now too but still not great. Mornings on waking are still bad for an hour but keep mind busy its ok. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.