What are your views?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all the clever 'experts" who sit on this forum. I have a really serious question to ask so I would please ask for some honest straight forward responses. My question is: I have depression that is worsening though continuing worse physical health. I went to see my doctor who insisted on putting me on an antidepressant but I am really scared because I was dumped on 1 years ago and left on it for years. I have a vicious cycle that I live in with both physical and mental health worsening bit by bit, to the point where I wanted to end my life on Monday to stop all the pain and illness. My question is what do you experts on here think of SSRI's? Have you used them? How did you get on? Did they control your IBS pain (these would be the only reason to consider using one)? Which one would you try if you had no choice? Lastly does anyone know if they stop/interfere with fertility? Please help , I know I need to take something as I sense I'm getting worse but I am so confused. My family's attitude was just to dump me on antidepressants and leave me there, I have past sexual issues that family should have responded to at the time, hence the original lot of antidepressants. There's a lot of pros and cons but I really need some decent advice. Any straight forward honest comments please, this is really messing with my head! Sorry to be so insistent about this, this decision has to be right. Also which one works quickest and takes least time to leave your system?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I suffer from major anxiety and have a history of depression. My Dr also prescribed me antidepressants which I took for about 3 months then stopped them, I hated them, they made me feel worse and I felt like I wasn’t even a functioning adult. A lot of antidepressants can end up making you feel worse so you have to keep that in mind as well . There are so many alternatives to antidepressants out there so if you don’t feel comfortable with the decision to take one I would definitely look for alternative ways. I’m not a Dr though this is just my opinion and personal experience. 
    • Posted

What do you think of st. John's wort? It's a natural antidepressant unlike the tablets the doctors like to put you on.

• Posted

I actually have tried these and I like them I think they are a pretty good alternative. I’ve had 3 babies pregnant with the 4th so every time I get pregnant I have to stop taking them but they are helpful. 
  • Posted

hi Sam, i was on citrolopram  40mgs for many years ,and they were excellent and helped my panic attacks  anxiety and depression..After many years ,i decided that that was enough ,and went cold turkey and finish with them.Had few side effects and that was that.However a few weeks later i got ibs ,and my pharmacist informed me that the citrolopram had  blocked my ibs ,so went back too the doctor and  got a prescription for 20 mg citrolopram and within 6 weeks my ibs had vanish again
    • Posted

What did the citalopram do? How long did you take it? How long did it take to work? Why did my doctor not listen when I asked for help 2 years ago?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.