What can I do to feel better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been on meds for a few weeks, but I am still so sick. I literally can't do anything but lay there. I'm calling my doctor first thing tomorrow to get advice, but I thought I would try here as well. I am so miserable and can't do any tasks that need to be done. I have a super active toddler and I feel awful not being able to hardly take care of her. Is there a medication that can at least help with the fatigue and weakness? Any supplements I may need? I take prenatals and vitamin D. What can I ask my doctor to do? I just can't keep wasting my whole day laying down sick. I wish they'd just do a thyroidectomy. At least with that I can get some relief and know the meds will work! Anybody who has had to deal with this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Are you on meds for hyper ?

- After a few weeks I'd have expected an improvement in symptoms either way by now.

definitely discuss with an Endocrinologist, urgently.x

im a Graves sufferer, my thyroid goes up and down, and I'm always off key, I'm sue a thyroidectomy very soon as the meds just didn't help.

i have children and I cry about how they have a non working mum model!! 

Youre not alone, we know x

get advice and get sorted...and get off that sofa even when you don't feel like it, and play with your child. I tried every day to make a play hour at least xxx

• Posted

Yeah, hyper. Sorry I didn't realize I didn't specify. How long have you been up and down? I have been getting up to play with her, my body just gets so exhausted. Racing heart, sweaty, shaky, you know the drill. Its just so difficult and I hate that. Thank you for the advice and I hope you feel OK.

• Posted

My sister-in-law had her thyroid destroyed and takes Levothyroxine and she told me "you never feel the same again".  So when I got Graves disease, I wanted to keep my own thyroid at any cost.  The more empowered you become as a patient, the better your recovery.  Do you know what your diagnosis is, i.e. what caused your hyperthyroidism?  Do you know your lab test results and do you always ask for a copy of them when they are done.  If you post them to this Board, we can be more helpful.  For myself, though the meds controlled the excessive thyroid hormone production, they on their own did nothing for my TSH which remained at less than 0;.001 for two years until I read an article about L-Carnitine and its benefits to hyperthyroid patients.  I then took the recommended dosage of 3,000 mg per day and my TSH rose slightly for the first time in 2 years.  Then I tried other carnitines and took Acetyl-L-carnitine and my TSH really rose well into the normal range.  I did have my carnitine levels tested before I took the supplement and I was deficient as I suspect most hyper patients are.  I also was deficient in vitamin D and Magnesium so I have added all of these to my supplements.  You have to be careful using Acetyl-L-Carnitine however, because you can't just take a dose and forget about it.  You need to be monitored more frequently and adjust dosages of it as well as my doc adjusted my meds dosage as my other levels improved.  It was extremely sensitive.  

• Posted

Thank you for all of the great tips. I'll be sure to get my labs and get those supplements. I already take vitamin D but the others will help I hope. What about your sister-in-law isn't the same? Are her symptoms relieved but now she has other issues?

• Posted

Yes, that's it exactly.  She tires easily.  The levothyroxine does not make her feel like her own thyroid hormone did.  What you want to do is normalize your thyroid hormone output and replace all the lost vitamins, minerals and amino acids that happened due to the hyperthyroidism.  

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up