What can I expect.

Posted , 12 users are following.

As by now you all know, I am due to suffer the dreaded surgery on the 28th of this month.  Do they expect you to weight bare on your operated leg the next day eek  roughtly when can I expect to walk without a limp, I am asuming this will be before full recovery, the limp at the moment is having a really bad affect on my other leg an both my hips, and is soooo tiringconfused  I  just long to be able to drive and walk my dogs like a really normal person, but at the moment I feel this may never happen and that from now on I will be a hippy hoppy disabled old birdcry  I am so despondent, will it be worth all the pain?

1 like, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

It sounds like you are having second thoughts about your upcoming surgery, and I can completely relate to how you are feeling, as the night before my surgery, I had a strong desire to get in my car and drive as far away as possible and not come back! I honestly felt I was on my way to the gallows!

It has been 17 weeks post op for me today, and the advice I can give you is yes, it will be worth it considering the pain you are going through now. If you did nothing, your pain and condition will only worsen. After TKR, you will most likely never be 100% again, but absolutely much better than how you feel now. You will be able to look forward to driving and walking your sweet dogs again. Without the surgery, I feared I would end up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life if I did not do something about it. So again yes, it will be worth it.

My hips also are bothering me and I can't help but wonder if hip replacement is in my future, but if it is, I will have that done as well. I will do anything to have a better quality of life. Good luck to you (and resist the urge to flee the night before your op ~ you will be glad you did smile  and stay on this forum for support!

Betty

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not full weight. As I understand if you are inthe UK you start on a walker, then quickly ri crutches. In the US we are almost exclusively on walkers till you can use a cane. They will teach you to use stairs very quickly. You will almost automatically start striding out so the limp starts disappearing but you have to remember, all those muscles, ligaments and tendons have atrophied as your leg has worsened. You will have to work on putting everything back in to proper condition and it will take time. You have a lot of work ahead of you and no one can do it for you but give yourself 6 weeks and life will start getting back to normal but you will probably be close to 6 months before you can say you are really human again. Don't be impatient and stay on this site for a lot of encouragement and help
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi liz...anita here in the usa  ,boston area ...at 14 weeks  post tkr...I had 7 am surgery...and requested to use the bathroom by 8 pm...same day...i had good anesthesia ...and in recovery they do a femoral nerve block to help with pain ...it lasted about 4 to 5 days...you need to wear a leg brace to get out of bed ...or your knee will buckle...also had iv narcotics for pain ...and had big ice bags over my kneeyou will need to work hard...exercise,,,and ice ...start physical therapy  as soon as posible...I'M not sure of the routine in other countries...Icould drive at about 6 weeks ...just do everthing they tell you ...be patient ...maintain a positive attitude...and allow youself rest and healing time...its a major surgery...best wishes for a speedy recovery
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Liz I'm 9 weeks post op and felt like you before I had the op. In Wales I was kept in high dependency until the following day. I left a little later than some because of blood transfusions but once I was on the normal ward I was able to use a walker to go tothe loo. Heaven. Pain  killers are plentiful and you must insist onlots of ice. I had an ice cuff, physio starts quite quickly and you should be out between 3 and 5 days depending on how you feel. I drove at five weeks but was a little naughty but between 6 and 8 is average. I have walked one of my dogs but the other one pulls a lot so my hubby holds his lead as I still feel a little unsafe. I am swimming nearly every day and can walk further than I could before the op although it still hurts. Probably because I don't take enough pain killers. Be brave, work hard at the physio and after a few weeks you'll be able say yes it's worth it.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Carol, and a big wave from accross the bay.  We live near Weston Super Mare and I can see across to Wales from my window (when it's not misty!)  I so want to get rid of the limp, it's so debilatating, and I long to drive down to the beach and walk along it in a natural way and to be able to get on with life.  I feel my life has been on hold for the past few months sad
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Liz, I'm a little further away, in North Wales. I had such a bad limp before that I was totally out of line. My leg was so crooked that I had lost two inches off my height.Now my leg is straight and my height is back. I no longer feel like a little old lady. (I'm 67 but feel much younger now). A bonus is that I have a lot less back pain too. When you limp your whole body is out of line. My own fault that I don't take the meds enough but after reading these posts I shall be good now. (Thanks folk). One thing I thought after the op was that they had made my leg two inches longer than  the other one! I was convinced. But I gradually got used to it all and now it's great. I take a lot of comfort from reading on  here that the odd bad days are normal and that patience is not only a virtue but is a necessity.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Liz, I had TKR May 6, 2014.   It was the best thing I ever did and I am having my second in February.  I can walk and have NO PAIN in my knee.  I do have a little residual numbness but as the nerves heal that is going away as well.  If I go walk around uneven terrain, e.g. woods/forest, I do get a little swelling.  But remember, it takes a full year for your TKR to fully recover.  Like you, most of us felt some trepidation before surgery.  

I am overweight and am 60 years old.  I did fantastic.  It was no where near as painful or hard as I had anticipated.  I read this post for months before my surgery.  What I learned was everyone is different, handles pain differently, and that some seem to get a little depressed.  Anesthesia affects everyone differently, but my doctor said that most all his patients get a little 'down' with the anesthesia and the confinement, but soon get over it and that is exactly what I experienced.  I was blessed with a wonderful husband who took great care to make sure I had my meds on time (seems that a lot of folks on here do not take their meds on a regular schedule - you do not want to let the pain build - because it takes a while to get under control if you do), elevated my leg to help with swelling, iced regularly, wore my stockings for first 2 weeks and he made sure I got to physical therapy 3x/week.  I don't know about you, but I am not one to sit at home constantly.  I like to see family and shop.  One thing that really helped with the confinement was taking short rides after physical therapy just to enjoy some sunshine and big blue Texas sky instead of the inside of my house.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's normal to be scared Liz. You will get out of bed the day after if not the same day. In Aust we use a walker then sticks not crutches. The limp will go ad your knee heals and as your walking improves. I am 4 weeks after the second knee and 8 weeks after the first and I dont limp much any more. my hip pain is done. After the op, make sure you keep up with the painkillers and do your exercises. The thing I find the hardest is not being able to drive, so bring stuck st home and not sleeping well. It is hard to get comfortable.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Liz, I'm across the Bristol Channel from you too, not far from Cardiff😊 I was on my feet the day after my op I think. It's awful but I don't actually remember if it was the same day or the day after! I know I had to use a bed pan a few times so maybe it was the second day. I used a walker at first and was surprised how easy it was! The main difficulty was lifting the leg out of bed - it is such a dead weight! So, be prepared for that. The nurses were great though and helped. You soon get the knack of using your good foot under the bad one to help you lift it. I remember soon managing to get out of bed myself to use the bathroom at night rather than trouble the staff.  On the 3rd day the physio had me walking up and down stairs with crutches so you can see how quickly you progress. 

As for the limp I wouldn't worry about that. My leg was quite bent before the op and now it's straight so the limp gradually goes.

I'm 17 weeks post op now and I won't pretend it's been easy. My advice would be to take all available painkillers regularly - I spaced mine out over 24 hours- do your exercises regularly, use ice and rest whenever you can. If you're lucky, like me, to have a partner or family member to help in the first few weeks accept it gladly. I'm still getting some pain in the muscles in the leg ( as they adjust to being in a straight leg I think) but I'm walking more than I did before the op and looking forward to doing so pain free soon. I've been driving since about 7/8 weeks and found it no problem at all even though it's my left knee I've had done. What motivated me before the op was my surgeon saying "You've only got one life". I knew there was no chance of any improvement if I didn't have it done. I'd tried all the supplements going and lots of physiotherapy. All I want to do, like you, is enjoy some long walks again and now I've got the chance to do so. Good luck on the 28th and let us know how you get on. This forum has helped me enormously. Jen x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Liz

I'm having my right TKR Friday 21st November. Two more sleeps!

After spending 6 weeks in hospital & 9 months indoors I'm very excited things are finally moving forward. 

I'm just worried how my left leg is going to feel after surgery as I have two torn ligaments in my left knee, awaiting surgery.

After 1 cancellation in September just a week before surgery date, I now know for definite this one is going through. 

See you on the other side smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up