What can I expect.

Posted , 12 users are following.

As by now you all know, I am due to suffer the dreaded surgery on the 28th of this month.  Do they expect you to weight bare on your operated leg the next day eek  roughtly when can I expect to walk without a limp, I am asuming this will be before full recovery, the limp at the moment is having a really bad affect on my other leg an both my hips, and is soooo tiringconfused  I  just long to be able to drive and walk my dogs like a really normal person, but at the moment I feel this may never happen and that from now on I will be a hippy hoppy disabled old birdcry  I am so despondent, will it be worth all the pain?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you all for your very encouraging words, I will certainly be a daily visitor here for the forseeable future.  Susan and Christine and I will all be ''butchered''  within days of each other so hopefully we can stagger through this together, guided by all you kind folk with greater experience.  I to will be on the fast track healing programme, although for the life of me I cannot see how that works, healing is healing, how can it be fast tracked?!!  I go for my pre check and bloods on Monday so will ask them what it means!
    • Posted

I think the fast track healing is Enhanced Recovery Programme in nhs terms. You will get this at pre op assessment - that is what I was given 
    • Posted

I'm up at 5 am tomorrow for my trip to Wrightington  Wigan. I have to ring the ward at 6 pm tonight to see what number I am on the list.

I was wondering when I'm home can I use a bag of frozen peas rather than 'ice' or do I have to get crushed ice to keep the swelling down? 

• Posted

You can use a bag of frozen peas but make sure that you don't put it directly onto bare skin! I'm very lucky as I have a purpose made chill bag that fits around the whole knee and the Velcro fastenings on it keep it in place. I've just finished 15 minutes with it on my knee and it's bliss!
  • Posted

Christine, very good luck tomorrow, will eagaly await your report. Fingers crossed you will be bouncing back very soon.

I have to be at the hospital for check in at 6am (what a silly time!!) and my surgery is scheduled for 10am. 

Remon sadly all your posts have been deleted again, although I did manage to read the first one - thank you, before it was deleted!

• Posted

Thanks Liz. My letter says to be at the hospital for 7am but when I ring at 6 pm today this may change. Oh er 2 and half hours to wait 
  • Posted

I do believe it will be worth all the pain. I had a TKR 11 days ago.  I had my surgery 11/10 and was released from the hospital Friday 11/14.  The first few days of being home was a bit more painful than being in the hospital.  I'm 48 and after a major sports injury which resulted in surgery when I was a teenager I had another 3 surgeries on that one knee over the years.  Because I was always told to wait until I was 50 to get it replaced I did wear out my hip on the same side and the left but not as bad.  I had to replace my hip before my knee, my decision to do it now was I just could not take the pain any longer and my quality of life was affected.  By limping it does change your gait which affects your other joints. I also have arthritis.  I just had my hip replaced 3 months ago which in comparison was not as painful as my knee now.  I bounced back fairly quickly from the hip and hoping to do so with the knee.  I do think the cronic joint pain and the forever sleepless nights will be something in the past once I am farther along with the knee recovery.  Excercise, moving, icing and resting will help your knee along.  i was expected to bear full weight right away. Only used the walker a few times in the hospital and use 2 crutches currently.  Here in the US we have a cool knee wrap that gets filled with cold cold ice water through a little cooler. It has worked wonders.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.