What can I expect

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been dealing with mdd with pshycotic features for well over a year now I'm 32 and have tried numerous meds that hasn't worked I've decided to stop taking all of them zoloft abilify and trazedone I think I've given this med thing a good try and would like to just be left alone and let fate sort things out I have a appointment with my pshyc this week and am very nervous if they are gonna let me continue this way or commit me again anyone have any thoughts as to what I could expect at this appointment

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Don't stop meds without talking to a doc first, your asking for trouble otherwise

• Posted

Y say I'm asking for trouble these are the reasons I ask I do not know what to expect and I'm very tiered of someone else's perspective e on normal

• Posted

Hi Chris,

If you define the word, "normal", you will find that it means conforming to a standard, usual or expected.

So really normal is what is expected of people in general. Do you mean you are struggling with your version of reality, in comparison to others versions of reality?

My youngest son who is 23 is waiting to see a psychiatrist about having feelings of disassociation. At times he does not feel connected to the here and now.

Is this simular of how you feel?

• Posted

Hi again,

I am on 15 mg mirtazapine, not 25 mg. The combo of venlafaxone and mirtapazine do work extremely well for me. I do agree with the advice about stopping or adjusting your dosage of mrds without a doctor's advice. Sudden withdrawal can be a very bad experience. Please talk to your doctor before you do anything.

• Posted

My reality is very real my problem with this system is who gets to decide what is normal no two people in the world share the same ideation of the way normal is or should be
    • Posted

I agree with you about normal being different for everyone. No one person can define normal for everyone. I understand your reticence about taking drugs. I never wanted to take meds every day, but then MDD with psychosis became my reality and I had never felt so awful in my life. I just wanted that feeling to go away and let me be happy again. The venlafaxine and mirtazapine do that for me. I am happier than I've been in years and I sleep better. If I could be happy without the meds that would be great, but right now at least I need them. Nobody but you can define your normal, but are you happy? You deserve to he happy and enjoy life. Maybe that means taking meds, at least for now. Please accept any help that makes you feel happy to be alive.

Please let me know how your appointment with your psych goes.

Good luck,

Phyl

• Posted

chris

I do not know what your problem is, all I know is you need to take advice before stopping medications. Wanting to be clear of them I can understand, I would never say never, Take advise and remain open to any suggestions that may be on offer.

When I sufferd my depression in the 90s the CPN recommended a medication and I was put on them before my first appointment of CBT. The assessment dictated my first medication.

If you are Pshcotic they may need you to take some types of medication as they will need to control your condition. That will be their decision. Sometimes you MAY be able to negotiate a treatment plan, although they may be persistant in your treatment

They are in partnership with you as far as your treatment is concerned, although they will be considering many problems you may have if you go clean.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear that the Meds you have tried haven't worked for you. We must remember when doctors or psychiatrists prescribed anti depressants etc it is a hit or miss affair.

We are all different at a biological level and what may work for one may not work for the another. I understand where you are coming from and it can be a long drawn out process in the quest for finding the right medication for you. If indeed medication is suitable.

Anti depressants should in reality be a short term application but under pressure doctors will prescribed them to many patients for a life time. I for one have been on anti depressants since I was 13 and I am now 53. Trouble is they don't treat the cause of the depression just the symptoms.

Four years ago I had a life changing therapy known as cognitive therapy. It is a psychological process that centres on the way we think as individuals. This therapy has taught me and given me tools to combat the negative thinting, especially centring on negative thoughts about ones self.

This therapy has turned my life around. I have stopped running myself down, stopped self harming and given me a natural mental balance in my life. I am even in the process of coming off the medication I have been prescribed for over 25 years.

Personally I prefer psychology over psychiatry. A psychiatrist will prescribed you medication 98 times out of an 100. A psychologist will look at the though processes and genuinely work hard at finding the cause.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope you can find some form of rest bite. Please take a look at cognitive therapy. It is not for everyone. But if you are willing to meet a psychologist half way and be provided active in getting better, then give it a shot.😉

• Posted

Thank you for the insight I have tried therapy as well and likley they are right in what they say it is just not who I am or was . My problem lies in the thought of I have forgot what " is normal" is normal what you believe or what other people think you should believe. I would rather try and live life with my own thoughts then others. If this makes sense 32 good of my own years verse 100 of someone else's I've been off meds 2 weeks and have no intentions of starting again thank you for all your advice I just hope the pshyc sees it my way cause I will not survive another hospital stay

• Posted

Chris, have you ever smoked weed etc? The only reason I ask is because years of psychiatrists and a short term on anti-psychotics never picked up on the fact that I had been using cannabis - for 20 years! It seems strange that it was never mentioned, in retrospect. 

All best wishes to you angel xx

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Last July I was diagnosed with MDD with psychosis. I am 68 and had no previous psychiatric problems. I was committed by my psychiatrist to hospital for 8 days while he monitored my response to medications. I now take 300 mg venlafaxine and 25 mg mirtapazine (also referred to as California rocket fuel). I'm happier than I'be been in years and sleeping better. I have a few side effeces that don't bother much. The only one that is a concern is high chlesterol, which my doctor is monitoring. For me at least these meds have been a lifesaver. Let me know how you are doing.

Good luck,

Phyl

• Posted

Thanks again for everyone's input it's lots to consider I'm still very nervous on what will happen as my pshyc meeting is already at the hospital and I absolutley refuse to go back to putting chemicals into my body it can't be good for u either way

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.