what can I take instead of citalopram?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

Can anyone recommend another med instead of citalopram with fewer side effects and an easy transition minus the withdrawal symptoms?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi have you thought of Setraline? I don't know why you need it but apparently is as good for anxiety as Citalopram but less of an issue for a cardio perspective.
    • Posted

Thanks Chalky, I have seen that one mentioned a lot in the forum and it is another ssri. It's interesting because I think citalopram is beginning to give me side effects that I never had before like breathing problems. If sertraline is easier on the heart it may be a possibility. Seeing my GP soon.

Many thanks and best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately everybody is different and while some people suffer little or no side effects from a certain med other people have bad side effects.

Years ago I was on fluoxetine it took me three attempts to get through the first 4 weeks because of the horrendous side effects.

However when I did push through the 4 weeks they worked well for many years.

Sertraline I tried last year on 50 and 100 mg for 3 months. They made me suicidal . But I know two other people on sertraline that had little or no side effects from them.

I was then swapped to mirtazapine and the only side effect was wanting to eat a lot more.

I didn't taper. I was on 100mg of sertraline. Swapped straight to 30 mg mirtazapine over night.

You just have to try a new anti depressant and see how it effects you. You could ask your gp for something to take during the transition. Ie diazepam to help combat the side effects while you swap over

Best wishes Rich

• Posted

Thanks rich,

Yes it's horrible changing meds, the side effects seem to go on for ever. Using diazepam during the transition sounds good.

Many thanks and best wishes to you.

• Posted

I love ale escitalopram it's in the same family of citaloram my doctor said but better for anxiety and I get no side affects
  • Posted

I take I mean lol
    • Posted

Thanks lee,

Yes I knew what you meant lol. That is supposed to the updated version of citalopram, I think. I'll look it uP. Many thanks. Take care.

• Posted

I swapped citalopram to escalopram. With. You side effects. Just on a stronger dose escalopram. ( that's me at the moment though).
    • Posted

How long since you did that switch, Michelle? I just started the switch today. How was it all for you?
  • Posted

Beginning of December. I had to reduce to 20mg then I swapped, took a week or so for transition. But feel so much better now than I did. Best thing I ever did
    • Posted

Started on 20, went up to 30 before Xmas and went onto 40 beginning of January tor get me through a rough time. Hopefully start decreasing again once the months improves. Do you have any concerns

☺☺☺

• Posted

Crap I have a million questions for you haha

How long were you on cit?

Did you find it stopped working?

• Posted

I'm

Just wondering what to expect in the transition. Was on 40 mg of cit, which is equivalent to 20mg of esc.

So for a week I will be doing 20 of cit AND 10 mg of esc to ease in. Wondering about withdrawals and side effects.

• Posted

I was on it for 3 years. I have worked all through my depression, anxiety and Ocd.

I have been really lucky. But I have done cbt, having counselling and also self employed, which doesn't entirely help but have scraped through ☺☺☺

• Posted

Go with it, will be hard, but worth it to feel more human and normal x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.