What caused your anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Realising that my absuive ex caused my anxiety was a big stepping stone for me. It made anxiety less scary because I unerstand why it happens.

Is there anything that has happened in your life that has caused panic attacks? 

Something I saw the Speakmans do was great for me. There was a woman with a phobia of spiders. After speaking to her, they realised she had the phobia because when she was little her grandma screamed at one. She became frightened and began fearing spiders. When they discussed this with her she then went onto hold a spider and her fear was gone.

Similarly, my pfirst panic attack was in a shopping centre. It made me frightened of going out because I wasnt sure when I would have one or why they were happening. On examining this I realise that the violence and abuse I was suffering from my partner caused this, and instead of shutting him out of my life, I shut out travel. 

I now know that travelling wont trigger an attack,  it still makes me anxious because it is a fear I have created, by believing wrongly that it caused my anxiety.  I can now unlearn this fear and feel much more confident now I know what caused it in the past. 

Maybe this would be a good idea for other people, if not done so already. For health anxiety I woudl look at what has happened in your life that was not health related!

Xx

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mine was mental & physical abuse & i have never really got over it. I feel like i will never trust again & have lost all confidence in myself & others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.