What do I do next RE Reflux symptoms?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

Long term acid sufferer, usual symptoms particularly acid taste in mouth, acid taste started about 10 years ago and has never ceased for one day, it is there all the time even when other symptoms are low.

More recently, last 2-3 years, it turned into bloating/stomach cramps/pains/chest pains/burning sensation in lungs etc

Had endoscopy, diagnosed with a disfunctional valve and prescribed acid blockers (osmerozpole etc, am trialling different ones to see which is best)

After trying a few tablets, nothing has worked and I feel terrible. I am constantly nauseus and will spontaneously be sick at any moment. I am so tired and weak and feel like im waiting around to collapse

What i would like to know is, am I advertently doing this to myself? Today I have been sick a few times, my food has come back up, i am so so bloated i feel like i have aboulder lodged in there.

I do drink cups of tea and todays food was ham salad sandwiches, for breakfast I had weetabix.

I am wondering if there is something else going on, like wheat/milk allergy/intolerence? A lot of the time im sick the food has not been digested. As much as I feel low and tired I never actually feel "poorly" or have a fever

Any suggestions welcome on general things i can do e.g diet wise etc while i continue medical help

much appreciated

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've had reflux now for 4 years. Some days ok, others not so, I take Nexium, on an inhaler for the shortness of breath and doctor recently said I can also take Gaviscon Advance in between but I have recently been on a gluten and dairy free diet for the last 3 weeks and have found that the burning chest is no longer there. I used to get bad symptoms from yoghurt. I drink soya and almond milk now. You may well have an intolerance to grain and dairy which will exacerbate symptoms. Also tea and coffee is a no no. Even decaf is no good for reflux. Have you tried taking pro biotics too?

• Posted

Hi JOIcy strait away I think one trigger could be the weetabix I find they really give me acid reflux and tea can be a problem I only drink decaf and water you say you've tried different ppi meds how long did you give them for me it took a few month before they kicked in and they won't stop the reflux the meds just make it less acidic have you tried adding gaviscon advanced in. After every meal ? Also don't eat after 8oclock at night and have gaviscon before you lie down hope this is of some help

• Posted

I am NO expert and new to acid reflux, however pretty well researched on foods. I would remove weetabix ( cardboard food with little value and full of gluten) Ham ( processed meat and carcagenic) and the bread ( gluten) straight away. I wouldnt touch any of that food. Switch to a gluten and dairy free diet full of fresh vegetables, fruit and small portions of meat. Healthy fats if tolerated, fermented foods and bone broth. heaps of people have issues with gluten and dairy anyway, if your sufering for that long, i would reset your gut. good luck smile

• Posted

I'm doing hat Star42 says for 3 months now. It took quit long (about 9 weeks) to feel any difference. But eventually it helped me a lot. I don't have te illusion that it will cure me, but it sure helps a lot.

I also quit alcohol, coffee and chocolate for almost 1 year now, because it gave me too much trouble. Thanks to my improvement coffee and cholate is possible again (not too  much dough). Alcohol I dont really want anymore. And by the way in beer there are also gluten, so drink other alcoholic stuff if you really want to drink it (but it really triggers reflux).

• Posted

thanks everyone for the help. i have dropped weetabix, i thought that was a simple food my body would tolerate. I have tried to eat foods with low acid rather than gluten etc.

what do you mean reset my stomach? this sounds appealing, i every day i feel like a bus could reverse out of there, can i flush it out with laxatives? I havent dared do anything not doctor recommended

• Posted

To reset, look at the GAPS diet or low fodmaps smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.