What do we know about LS?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I was wondering:  What have we learned about LS?  What are some of the things that work for some and not for others to control this disease? Have we, all of us together here, figured something out that makes a difference on how people can learn to live with LS, though not a cure?  Are there some sure things that almost look like a cure?  Just wondering. 

0 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm in Australia and the steriod typically prescribed for LS here is called Diprosol. I'm assuming it's similar to the steroids others are using. I have found that the Diprosol stopped the itching, but not really much else. I have tried Epsom Salt baths with no noticeable improvement. For "paper cuts" and tears I have found the oestrogen pessaries to be useful - used every day for the first two weeks but now only twice a week. As yet I have not managed to stop the flare ups at which time the skin splits, always in the same place ....... and haven't found a way to deal with the pain from this other than normal painkillers - i.e. nothing topical helps. I'm probably not as successful in managing the LS as others on here yet - so going to try the Borax. Thanks all.

• Posted

Have you changed your diet? That was the biggest game changer for me. No sugar, wheat, dairy, processed food, beef or pork. I use little products with fragrances or tons of chemicals. Sometimes it's hard, I miss ice cream, but on the upside I've lost 40 pounds!

• Posted

Gosh I've heard that sugar and dairy products were an issue with LS but beef and pork too? As I am aging I am more concerned about my dietary needs- Vitamin B-12, Calcium Vitamin D, protein and iron. I need a dietitian to help me I think. By the way, I suggest to all that you should review your labs with your doctor and understand. After sixty it is very dangerous to be deficient.

• Posted

I have changed my diet to a degree. I suspect that "to a degree" is not going to be enough to see any changes. I started with a Mediterranean style diet with very little in the way of meat, and lots of beans and plant foods. (I don't eat red meat anyway and haven't for years). I enjoy this style of eating but it does include grains, including wheat, and also allows a little alcohol. Just this morning wondering if it's worth trying a much stricter regime, including no dairy, wheat or alcohol. From what others have said, it seems worth trying.

• Posted

For many sugar is the biggest culprit.  Alcohol belongs in that same league I thought so I cut that one out as well.  You will always be good with less meat and lots of vegies I think.
    • Posted

You can eat small portions of beef and pork, but next to that you need a lot of vegies for the balance.  I too take a lot of supplements, as you mentioned - B12, Calcium, D3 when I haven't seen the sun for a while and more. 

?Leaving out sugar, among others, makes a world of difference for me with LS.  And living without added sugar is relatively easy to do, I think.

• Posted

I've been using the borax for two to three weeks now. Has anyone had any luck with releasing the labia fusion with it? 

• Posted

I have seen improvement with that, but it definitely takes longer. I would say months before that seemed different.
    • Posted

How long have you been using the borax? Some days I think I see an improvement in the fusing, others I don't. It's hard to know even though intake photos.

• Posted

My 'treatment' has been with baking soda.  It took a while, but eventually all the fusing let go.  (I guess it took years to get this far, it will take time to put things in reverse)

• Posted

What has put my LS into remission (tho I do got occasional itching)

1. No sugar initially but I do cheat now with hardly any consequences

2. No dairy (again I do cheat now and again with h.a.c)

3. I take MSM (I also have sensitive bladder but think this has helped LS too)

I do not use anything topically as it agrevated the LS more.

XX

• Posted

Methylsulfonylmethane - its an organic sulphur.  It is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and helps the immune system.  There is lots on the internet about it.  I have also read that it protects mucous membranes X
    • Posted

How much MSM do you take, Claire, and in what form?I read that the powder is best absorbed.Do you take with any other supplements, and do you have any side effects?
    • Posted

There is sulfur in hot springs.  If only these hot spring facilities would leave out the chlorine, these baths could be beneficial as well.  Just a thought.
    • Posted

I take 2 1000mg capsules a day but you can take more than that if you choose, Ive never had any side effects X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.