What does Your Anxiety feel like?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Mine i feel palpitations light headed tingling all over my body. I breath too fast. I feel so space out. This past weeks anxiety has been at its worst. Cant even go out to the store because i feel the need to run. Gosh i wish their was a cure

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Joanna, my anxiety feels like palpitations, pains in the left side of my chest and shoetness of breath nearly constantly. I wish there was a cure too because it affects us being ourselves and enjoying life.
    • Posted

Hi Ryan.. Im sorry you feel that way. Is their anything that helps you feel better? I want to enjoy my life but at this point i cant this Anxiety its totally taking over.
    • Posted

I write a blog and that helps vent some feelings, other than that a bit of exercise and distracting with a TV show or a video game helps
    • Posted

Oh i see. Well i love doing make up hehe it helps me get distracted for a while but after im done its back to my anxiety
  • Posted

You can learn to calm yourself down. It will be after the adrenaline rush is released but you need to understand that part is a dysfuncriin how you react to it can be managed. Mindfullness breathing techniques can slow your breathing and stop hyperventilating which would diminish many symptoms. Never feed into the anxiety it makes it worse and last a lot longer, it can recycle itself. You cant give it attention, not saying ignore it be ause that can  feel impossible, but accept it. Accept it as is and breathe slowly, using yiur belly with no thinking abiut anything. It will calm down. After you have calmed you might feel a bit shaken if it took a while but that will wear off. The fear and the feeling to run is instinct of danger, its built into humans so sometimes you can wait it out if you feel the strong  enough and really understand whats hapoening on a rationale level (cbt can teach you) but other times i dont know it gets overwhelming and if in a store you end up leaving foe probably more social issues then anything else. And the stimulus of the store and activity can make it harder to focus and calm yourself. I would say dont accept this as okay but constantly test it. Go to the store early in the morning or later in the evening. Less stimulus around you and when thats mastered you can then oursue the busier tines of day. Never give in and make anxiety rules to avoid places, its not rationale at all and will create a new comolex cindition of agoraphobiaa which can be treated but creates more layers to peel away. To some extent it just kind of happens anyay but you need to conciously stay on too of that. Learn mindfullness, learn cbt and mediatiins. These are your personal tools to calm yourself down, not a pre requisite, anxiety can just fire off but in time you will hopefully retrain your brain. This can squash it to the 5-10 minutes the cycle would run itself out naturally.p and withiut the fear being fed into it. So you would just experience a adrenaline tush with a bunch of symptoms, with no fear towards it it just runs its bodily course and stops. It takes discipline, belief and training yourself. Let go of the control and accept it, do not fear it.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your words. Everything you said its right but sometimes anxiety feels like its controlling you. I do tried the breathing techniques and they do help a lot and also i been drinking tea and that sure does help a lot. But the anxiety its still their i have been getting insomnia zero sleep. But tomorrow i go to theraphy and i do hope that helps me a lot
  • Posted

Hi Joanna, yes it is a dibilitating disorder and effects every area of your life. I would just love to be able to do normal things again. Like go to the store without fear of an attack, the fear of course exacerbates the likelihood of having one. I've had these since childhood, but recently after a stressful period they've become worse. A continuous feeling of anxiety/dread and more frequent panic attacks. I too am at the pint of not wanting to leave the house, trapped by my own fear. I so wish there was a cure. I hope you overcome this and feel better.

Brian

• Posted

Hi Brian.

Yes i would love to do normal things too with out the fear of getting an attack. I want to socialized with friends but i cant go out cause i feel bad. Im sorry you have going through this since child hood. I have had this for 9 years and i was ok but this past 2 months for some reason it came back but really bad. I hope they find a cure we all need it

• Posted

hey joanna

I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since i was 15-16 years old.

I know how you feel especially that bit you wrote about the tumour.  My anxiety got so bad it go the point where I thought I was going absolutely nuts and yeah I thought there must be a tumour or something making me feel this way because everything feels completely unreal.  Especially when dealing with other people, at times I’ve also thought that maybe I’m schizophrenic.  I’ve lain in my room sometimes dreading the next day because I know I’ve got to go through it all again.  And the biggest problem is no one understands.  Not my co-workers, not my friends, not even my family.  I’ve been told either I’m crazy or that I need to just get on with things, to deal with it.  I’m 35 now and still have problems.  but there is a cure I firmly believe there is a cure and I’m at a point in my life now where I’m starting to take back control of my life.  I just wish I knew years ago what I know now.  It’s just that back when I was younger and first started having these problems there was no real therapies offered to me.  I was just put on anti-depressants and left to it.  Anti-depressants help.  They alleviate the symptoms of anxiety so you can get on with your life but they are not the cure. For the past 5 years I’ve been trying to deal with anxiety without anti-depressants.  And at times ive made progress but unfortunately my anxiety got to an unmanageable level.  I got to a point where I thought I was going mad and I almost decided to end my life, mainly because I didn’t think anything was going to help not even anti-depressants.   But I ended up trying them again.  This time I’ve been put on sertraline.  Its amazing how much difference these lmake.  I’m definitely a whole lot better.  But I know this is not the cure.  All the anti-depressants have done is given me control over my life so I can make some major changes.  And for a lot of people that’s what needs to be done, your whole life style needs to change.  Finding the right kind of Therapy is definitely a good start.  And one thing that has helped me over the years and which has probably kept me alive has been meditation.  Find a mindfulness group near where you live.  Look up meditation online, on youtube.  There is a ton of evidence out there now which shows that mindfulness makes positive physiological changes on the brain.   Learn how your brain works and how to make changes for the better.  Hope this helps and good luck.  Sometimes it takes time finding the right therapist too.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your comment.

Yes i feel the same way you used to feel and its horrible. You been struggling for a long time now but i am happy you are doing so much better now. Yea nobody understands what anxiety is like unless you have it. And sometimes i do feel like im going nuts and i cant take it anymore. Nobody seema to understand me. They just feel sorry for me. But i have faith that im going to over come this and everything will be fine I hope. I dont take any pills because xanax gave me side effects so now i am scared to tried any kind of pills. I just want my life back so i can enjoy it with my family.

• Posted

have you talked to a doctor, there are a lot of different medications out there, sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to find the right one.  i was on one medication called sertraline, which worked great, it made me feel a whole lot better but i found as a side effect i was sweating crazy amounts, especially at night.  so i talked to my doctor and we changed medication to citalapram and the sweating stopped and i still felt a whole lot better.  Also diet plays a big part, i've gotton onto green smoothies and eating a whole lot better as well as regular excercise.  30 mins of cardio helps increase your endorphine levels in the brain.
  • Posted

I HAVE THE SAME THING!! GET YOUR THYROID CHECKED OUT ASAP!! I was going through this for years. I told my doctor my heart feels like it randomly gets scared.. I can feel it beating. I had to go through soo so much to finally figure it out. My doctor ended up saying I had HYPERactive thyroid (unsure of the exact term) .. you probably are nervous alot and are not over weight. A doctor that was literally 90 years old told me to stick my hands out in front of me and put a piece of paper on top of my hands and watched it.. he noticed it was shaking a little and almost instantly said "you definitely have a hyper thyroid condition" and sure enough the old man was right a year later. Check it out!
    • Posted

Hi karolina , after having your thyroids checked were you cured from the anxiety symptoms, i have also had all testing done everything was normal and healthy, my therapist suggested I have my thyroids and hormones checked out as well so I have a appointment next week , what is actually done if you don't mind me asking ! This is my last result
    • Posted

Currently I am on no medication and I have been very nervous.. I lost 20 pounds in the past 3 months RANDOMLY. i literally never work out.. must be kicking in again.The hyperactive one make you lose weight the hypo makes you gain weight. I learned that the condition is usually genetic.

The doctor will do some blood work and then send you to a lab which asks you to come two days in a row. You take a pill and go into this weird machine that checks out your neck. After you take the pill (if the blood does show you have a thyroid level inbalance) the machine will show which one of your thyroid glands is bigger or whats going on..then your doctor gets you medication. ALOT of woman have this condition. I actually had to have this box attached to my body with a bunch of wires like the ones you see in hospital with those sticky endings.. and the box monitored me for 48 hours so they can determine how fast my heart is and how often.. they noticed my heart beats bad during math class (of course ha) and in my dreams. I had to take heart pulputation pills as well. My mom was really stressed about everything and for some reason when i was 20 i decided to cut off all medication. Check out your thyroid it can really be whats causing you to feel like you have anxiety OR you just have someone in your life that causes you misery.. in my case my mom would drive me INSANE my heart rate was 130 a min when she p*ssed me off and thats how I figured out that something is wrong with me.

• Posted

Yes thank you for all your information I really really appreciate this because I'm basically at the end of my ropes with all this , and my therapist recommended I see a endocrinologist for my hormones and thyroids . so that's the last step to finding out what's wrong with me , this all is very exhausting ! I just want to be me again that's all !! So was the issue with you your thyroids and did they correct you make you yourself again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.