What happens at 6 weeks post op?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It will be 6 weeks since my op on Monday but I haven't been seen by the consultant so I am nervous about what to do now.  They forgot to book me in as I had the op a few days before Xmas and so they were distracted!  Can I ditch the heel walking shoe? Not that I have anything else that will fit as my toe pokes up too much! Should I start walking normally? Should I walk normally but use crutches? I am so fed up and feel abandoned and the hospital is nearly an hours drive away or I would just pop in and ask. I see them next Saturday, but 7 weeks is a long time to find out if it all went ok or not! I have had my stitches removed and dressings changed npby a nurse, but that is all.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think you may need to establish that your bone is healing satisfactorily before you start to walk normally. At least that is what happened to me at just over 6 weeks. I had X-rays to just make sure all was well. What a pain they forgot to make an apt for you!! 
  • Posted

I'm at about the same stage with my 6 week post op consultation on 10th Feb.  All my stitches are out but I will have an x-Ray and then, all being well, a pin from what was my hammertoe removed on that day.  I have to keep my heel walking shoe on until then.  It probably depends on what you've had done, but If I were you I would definitely keep the boot on until you're allowed not to!  Time really drags doesn't it? I am so looking forward to being able to get the boot off.  
  • Posted

Somebody commented yesterday saying surely I didn't still need to wear it, but I think you're right. It's only one more week after all!
  • Posted

Hi, I had to wear my boot for 6 weeks after op then try normal shoes. I am now 10 weeks and can still only wear 2 pairs of shoes because of swelling but my walking is getting better daily. It feels weird when you ditch the shoe and I had quite a limp for a few weeks. I only saw my surgeon this week and everything seems to be good. I never had crutches .
  • Posted

Dear Portablewendy.

Wow!

What I have juyst read is nothing short of absolutely appalling.

You don't mention where you had your operation. IE in what part of the UK.

Anyhow, you should have been seen 2 weeks after your surgery to have your dressing changed and the foot and the incisio9n site inspected.

A further appointment should have been issued to you to attend to see the consultant no later than 6/7 weeks post surgery. At this appointment yoiu would have had x-rays ( at the very least) and the consultant inspect your foot without the bandages and to ensure that the healing process was going according to expectations. Hes expectations, that is.

You would probably at this latter appointment been issued with a more flat soled shoe to wear for a further 2/4 weeks depending on how your foot was progressing and feeling. I was also given toe gel spacers to wear between my big toe and secoind toe and I was told to wear these for a minimum of 4 weeks.

I was also told that the flat soled shoe along with the toe spacers could be regarded as additional pain relief for as long as I required them. We all have different rates of healing and even when back wearing normal or near normal shoes the foot can get to feel very tired and ache considerably for many months.

You will very likely continue to have varying degrees of swelling of your foot depending on how you treat it and put pressure on it. Obviously the more you rest it the less swelling and discomfort you will have.

The entire healing/recovery process will and can take many months - probably 12 or more.

Reading your comments I feel that you have either not been informed sufficiently about  the surgery process and the recovery process unless you may have mis-understood the information given to you.

My advice to you ( I had one bunion and a hammertoe operated on in November 2013 and the bunion on my other foot in October 2014) is to understand that this surgery has a very long recovery period which must be respected and that you must take the greatest of care not to overdo the walking once you feel able.

I had my surgery in Bradford West Yorkshire and have nothing but the highest praise for the treatment on the NHS and my consultant is never anything other than brutally honest and fair and very caring.

Good Luck!

Gillian

• Posted

To be fair it doesn't sound like you have actually had any more care than I have.  I was seen at 2 weeks by a nurse and then was told I had a 5 week wait to see the surgeon.  I was only disapointed as I had been told that I would see him after seeing the nurse, but he wasn't in that week, never mind that day!  

My foot doesn't hurt AT ALL which is why I felt like it might be time to move to the next stage (and it is 6 weeks on Monday since my operation), but as I said I'm going to keep the shoe on for one more week.  I am also relatively young to be having a bunion op (I've had it since I was 13!) so actually I would hope to recover a bit more quickly than somebody 10 or twenty years older than me, wrongly or rightly! The surgeon mentioned 3 months of not walking much at all, and then I'd gradually increase how long I could walk on it.  

I'm not naming and shaming the hospital as I thought they were very good and one receptionist making a mistake doesn't completely change that for me.

• Posted

I was the same as you Wendy I saw a nurse locally to have stitches out then the consultant for follow up at 10 weeks. Been walking without boot since 6 weeks but having followed a lot of discussions in the last 3 months, some people are told to wear the boot for only 4 weeks. Treatment obviously varies depending where you are and I from country to country

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.