What happens if I eat something that has been in contact with old garlic?

Posted , 2 users are following.

A few minutes ago, I ate a tomato (rinsing it of course) from the fridge and after eating I realised that I had been in contact with a garlic clove that had been sitting in there for god knows how long.

I checked the garlic clove and it didn't have any visible issues but it had a green sprout inside it. I'm very scared since I've read that old garlic can harbour botulism.

Should I vomit it all out while I still can?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi @bob_anderson99 -

I have actually eaten garlic with the green sprout in the middle many times, I just removed the green sprout and used the garlic and have been fine. I'm not a doctor or have any medical knowledge - just my own experience. It sounds like you didn't even eat the garlic, it was just around the tomato.

-Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.