What is a usual amount of time to be taking mirtazapine for?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For those who have had successful treatment from mirtazapine, what is a usual length of time that it has been taken for? I understand that you are supposed to continue taking the medication for a number of months even after you start feeling well. I guess it is different for everyone, but I just want some sort of idea. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think it is different for everyone.  Your GP should be able to advise you. Do you get any side effects from it.
    • Posted

Hi Vivien, yeah I understand it must be different for everyone, I just was interested in how long others have taken it for.

No I don't get any side effects from it now.

• Posted

Subject top the caveats about how everyone is different, but I think the accepted wisdom is you should take it for a period of 6 months from when you feel better in order to try and prevent a relapse.  Got a feeling the drug information leaflet which comes with Mirt says this as well.  HTH
  • Posted

I have been taking it for a longish time or as long as I can remember - and I am on it for the long haul as far as I know. I have been taken  off lithium because it was poisioning me, Prozac because it was affecting my libido and quetiapine because t was making me a zombie. Mirt makes me very sleepy but that is the price I have to pay.
  • Posted

I think you should at least take it for 6 months...

I took 30 mg for 2 years, and it is very hard to get off them afterwards, but they can be a help to get some sleep and appetite.

good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.