What is everyone taking for their anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm going back to the doctors this week as my anxiety is getting worse and currently waiting on a space to come available to start my CBT. Last time I went to the doctors, they offered me citalopram but because she was so negative about it, it freaked me out and I didn't start it. What is everyone taking? I know they'll offer me something this week but I want to look into what's available prior to going -  a 10 minute appointment isn't really long enough to get all the facts and I definitely don't want to make myself feel worse!! Thanks :-)

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't take meds unless its not bareable. I do as I was just at home unable to function at all but start up is not easy even bow after 4weeks but we are all different. I take fluoxetine and in the past sertraline. CIT didn't suite me at all but that was the first offered and Dr seem to like it, I found it strong x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm definitely apprehensive about taking tablets, I just have more bad days then good days and at a lose end with how to keep it under control waiting for therapy to start! 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I dont taken any meds, it's really not as essential as some seem to think - therapy is a great alternative. CBT itself doesn't always agree with everyone-if you feel it's not for you then ask your therapist for a different type of therapy. There are many. Meds themselves at OK for some but dony feel pressured to take them. For general anxiety they should only every be short term anyways. Stick to therapy if that's what you'd prefer
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've not started CBT yet! Had my telephone assessment and was told I was 'severe' anxiety and now just waiting for a space so not sure whether or not it'll benefit me! At a bit of a lose end at the moment and having more bad days then good!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've took citalopram in the past be it didn't really help me much. Same with setraline. I currently take mirtazapine, propanolol and amisulpride (I know, all drugged up haha!) but to be honest they only take the edge off a bit! Guess it depends on the dosage they give you etc. Good luck! x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've had propanolol before but it definitely didn't help that's why I've been reserved getting more tablets but some days I struggle a lot so wanted to see what other people take! Thank you! :-)
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sertraline at the lowest dose saved my life when I had serve crippling post natal depression 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up